Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIA Fender vs. MIJ Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Are there real significant differance in the two?Does it vary by each instrument as to quality,etc. no matter what country it is produced in?

I am looking at a few Fender P basses and one is mia ,the other mij.Just wondering if the differances would be worth the price to me(both are used but in Near Mint condition).

Thanks

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    It really depends which Bass you prefer.Play them both and decide which one feels and sounds better to you.Imo,Id take the MIA.

Good luck,and let your ears be the judge.......

3. JJR

JJR

Jan 7, 2001
    Idaho
    Mike's advise is the truth... only you can judge what's best for you.

But since your asking for opinions... for what it's worth, I find the hardware and electronics to be superior on the MIA models, whereas I find the fit and overall "craftsmanship" to be slightly superior on the MIJ models (and they often have more interesting finishes). Since I always replace the pups and bridges on my Fenders pretty quickly (regardless of where they were born) I prefer the MIJ ones as I think they're a better value for the money.

Either way, you're getting a pretty good bass. Good luck with your decision.

4. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I'll second JJR's opinion on the craftsmanship of the Fenders made in Japan,they just seem to be more conscientious on the quality end.Unfortunately,there are many who have biases against any Fenders not made in the US and as such,with resale prices in mind,I'd go for the US model.You'll always be able to sell it easier and for more money than the Japanese models.

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    ummm i might seen like a complete idiot when i ask this but, what does the mij and the other abreviations stand for? its just that i am gonna buy a fender bass soon and i wanan know as much as possible before buying.
    thanks
    Luke

6. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    MIJ - Made in Japan
    MIA - Made in America
    MIM - Made in Mexico

David

7. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    IMO it depends on the body wood and the pickups.
    Most MIJs are basswood with standard MIJ pickups, but some are alder with US pups. I'd go with the MIJ if it's an alder/US pups one.
    Last year I sold my AmStd Jazz after I got a MIJ one: same overall quality, better tone, better neck.

8. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I have both, and I prefer the MIA. The MIA is strings-through-body, and sustains days longer than the MIJ. The MIA also has the graphite reinforced neck, and although I don't understand all the physics, it seems to have eliminated (at least on this bass) the famed Fender "dead spot" around C# and D on the G string. I also have to remove the neck to tweak the truss rod on the MIJ, a quaint little re-issue thing that I could have TOTALLY lived without! Overall, the hardware is not as nice on the MIJ (especially the tuners and bridge), but it does have a much nicer finish than my MIA.