1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA Jazz ´09 or G&L Tribute 2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emanuel Apascaritei, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Hi, Would you sell a MIA Jazz `09 to buy a G&L Tribute 2500????

2. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    Just got a 2010 AmStd Jazz and I really like it a lot. G&L makes great stuff, but seems to have spotty resale value. Both are good stuff, but for me personally, the G&L would have to really knock my socks off to part with my jazz.

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    No but i would sell it to get a used USA G&L L2500 which IMO is a much higher quality instrument.

4. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Hmmm No! Not for a Tribute.

5. Never would sell my '08' MIA Jazz V for a Tribute, not gonna happen.:rollno:

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    IMO - in the last few years, Fender has been turinging out some outstanding instruments. They really came up quality wise somewhere new 2006 and it doesn't seem to me that they've let up. Good to see as for a while they were sucking wind IMO... So the real question becomes - do ya need a 4 string J or a 5 string...

In the premium finish, the Tribute L2.5 is a really good bass. Other than fit & finish it is very, very close to the equal of the MIA G&L bass IMO. There is a pretty significant price difference between those two basses, assuming that you were able to work that out, then if you need a 5, you could do worse.

The premium finish a Ash, the standard is basswood IIRC. The Tributes that I've had in standard finish were lackluster in the low end... kinda muddy. The Ash bodied ones have been really darned good.

As far as budget / mid-range 5's go, a 55-01 would be more attractive to me... of course a 55-01 wants a pre & pickups but mechanically - if you can deal with the 35" thing - it's an exceptional instrument particularly for the dough...

7. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    If you can find an L2500 with the single coil option, then you really won't need the Jazz anymore. I'm pretty sure it's only a custom option available on the US models, but you could always have the mod done yourself with a new switch.

And, I don't see a problem with selling a USA model for an Import model, if you like the bass and save at least 35% on the transaction. There's nothing wrong with saving money!

8. I really like the Jazz specially now that I strung it with Sadowsky flats, I was thinking about the Tribute bacause I like the humbacking pups, it´s active and it´s a 5 string. Is like the oposite of the Jazz. Actually I want to have both and maybe I should wait till I have the money and keep the Jazz.

What would you do??

9. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    Wait till you have the money and keep the Jazz.

And this from a G&L owner/enthusiast. If you shop smart, you should be able to get a used USA G&L L-2500 with case in excellent condition for $800-900. Well worth the wait.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Now you are getting the idea!

Do? I already did it!

Rule: You can never own too many basses!

Yup. Got 'em both.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    +1

I've got the Ash Tribute and it's nearly as good as my "real" L-2500. I've played several of the basswood Tribs and thought they were rather muddy. I don't recommend one. "Real" L-2500s always have "wood to die for", but my Ash trib wasn't all that bad looking. I'd say sound and playability are virtually identical. Still best is Used "real" G&L. I picked one up with knobs and switches all loose for a song. Minor fix to tighten them up.

Now as for deciding "either-or" with a Fender Jazz, I'd have to say that that depends on your music. Do you want that strictly Old School sound or are you itching to expand your horizons into much broader range of bass tone? In my humble opinion, I wouldn't choose.

Rule: You can never own too many basses!

12. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    No. Keep the jazz and get a USA G&L like others say.

13. I´ll keep the jazz and wait till I can buy the G&L. This is funny, even my girlfriend (soon future wife) told me so.

Thanks,

P.S: the wait is gonna kill me...but it worth it

14. I´ve waited and now finally I have the L2500 Tribute and I must say it´s killer and complements my MIA Jazz.

Thanks so much guys!

P.s: it has the ash body...sound killer

15. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    For a Tribby, no. For an Am L2500, now thats a whole nother story.

16. I kept both...

17. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    Late to the party, I apologise.

18. Congratulations! I have a couple of USA L2500s and had an '08 USA Jazz V. While I really loved certain things about the Jazz, the G&Ls have so much more "personality" in their tone.

I traded the Jazz for an EBMM SR5, which is it's own beast. Still prefer the L2500, but there's always room for a good Jazz (which I still have in a 4-string).

Good choice.