MIA Jazz Deluxe...Favorite Preamp Settings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Apr 14, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a 2004 MIA Jazz Bass V. I'm having a blast with it, have gigged with it twice and had many rehearsals with it. I'm still in the process of tweaking the pre-amp and finding "my tone".

I've found (so far) that by favoring the bridge pickup a tiny bit and boosting the bass a tiny bit while leaving treble and mids flat I get a cutting (but still fendery warm) fingerstyle tone that really fits the bill for the rock I'm playing.

What is your favorite preamp setting for fingerstyle rock and funk and do you have other suggestions other than the above setting (for fingerstyle rock or funk)?

Thanks for your input in advance.
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I have a MIA Fender jazz 4 and what I like to do is have all neck pickup and bass and treble at 3:00
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Calling the center detent 12 o'clock, I like mine as follows...

For the eleven piece funk/rock/rhythm & blues band...

Blend == 2 o'clock, (favoring the neck pickup)
    Bass == 1:30 to 2 o'clock
    Treble == 10 o'clock
    Mids == 2 to 3 o'clock

These settings give me my favorite all-around tone, which I vary mostly with right-hand position... Mostly, squarely between the pickups, but closer to the bridge for more bite.

Last night I played an avant-garde/groove/straight-ahead jazz gig and boosted the bass a bit while favoring the neck pickup a bit more... Had my thumb anchored on the edge of the fingerboard for a nice, deep tone. Bliss!

4. I like a straightforward flat setup with both pickups on full. However sometimes I like favoring the neck pickup a little, while boosting mids and cutting treble a little bit. I rarely boost bass, it seems to be too boomy for me, but I often cut the treble.
  5. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I've noticed a little bit of bass boost on this preamp goes a long way. I had it set up totally flat but noticed it was still a tad boomy (2X15" probably has something to do with this) which is why instead of cutting bass I favored the bridge pickup ever so slightly.
  6. Are you guy's setting your amps flat? I have yet to gig or even practice in a band setting with my new deluxe jazz four so I feel reluctant to comment.

I'm loving this bass!
  7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I have found that there are nearly limitless possibilities with mine. As an "also" owner of a 4003 Ric, I am partial to that sweet, almost piano-like sound. I have said for many, many years that there is not another bass out there that can come close to the Ric sound. WRONG!!!! I was goofing around one day and lo and behold....there it was!! My Deluxe Jazz is probably the most versatile bass I have played (at least since Moses was a baby)....Very fullfilling!

8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Flat..I'm assuming all knobs at detent correct? Yes...I neither boost nor cut any bass, treb, or mids on my amp. All are at 12o'clock.

9. Yep! That's what I meant. I've played mine thru my B100R mostly and I think it sounds great all by itself. I'll get a chance to practice with my band on Saturday though. Compared to my MIA P-Bass the Deluxe Jazz has a thicker neck from front to back. I'm beginning to prefer it to my P-Bass's neck.