Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIA Jazz Deluxe V and Leo Quan Badass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Jun 7, 2005.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Question....does anyone know if a Leo Quan Badass V will drop into (without mods) an MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe V?

Thanks,
    -Barry-

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'd assume so ya, you do have to file the stocks for each string though. I'm scared to file mine, I dont want to take it to a tech either :/.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, it's very easy. First, wait 'till it's time to change strings. Loosen them all up to the point where you can install the bridge. Lay the strings over the saddles and tighten the strings back up. Not all the way, just enough for the strings to slide into their natural straight path. Sight down them to verify.

The whole trick to this thing is making those slots in the right spots so as NOT to "kink" the strings or encourage them to pop out on you.

Mark on either side of the strings on each saddle with a ultra-fine sharpie. Get a small round file and do all the slots between the marks by loosening each string, filing, and replacing until done. Clean off the sharpie marks.

The should all be about the same depth, and just enough to give the big/low string something to lock into. Also, file them such that there are no "corners" making contact with the string. The "string path" should be smooth. Remember, no kinks.

Change strings, set action/intonation, and enjoy.

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys but back to the original question. ;)

Does anyone know for sure if the badass V is a drop in...do the screw attachment holes line up with Fender's Am Vers? I know Fender's bridge is 4 screws and Badass V's is 6. I'm just wondering if the Badass V's interior 4 screw holes line up with Fenders. Anyone? :D

Thanks!
    -Bazz-

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Does the Jazz V have the string-through-body option?

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes it does but I'm not worried about using it. I know the Badass V model I'm looking at doesn't (right now they are working on one that will have string through for 5 string Fenders).

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Maybe try cross-posting in the setup forum or the Luthier's Corner?

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Good idea. I'll do that.
    -b-

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Badass V will drop onto a Fender MIA Deluxe V. Can't go string through body though. The interior 4 attachment screw holes of the Badass V do line up (not quite perfectly but enough that you don't have to drill) with the 4 attachment screw holes on the body of a Fender MIA V. It is perfectly stable with the interior 4 of the 6 attachment holes screwed in. If you want all 6 attachment screws on the Badass then you'd have to drill the outer 2 into the body.
    -Bazz-

10. Have you tried looking on their website? I think I remember reading something about that. I think they have an exact replacement for fenders, and also a string through model.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They are developing it now but it's not offered to the public yet. I might get it but I'm happy w/the standard Badass V on there now.
    -Bazz-

12. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Email from Leo Quan last week:

"Dear Lars,
    Hello Serious Bassist, and thank you for your letter.
    Please forgive my delay in reply - I try to answer everything personally, but there are so many emails that I am vastly overwhelmed.

Thank you for your patience.

My current Bass V bridge is not a direct replacement - it would require
    work on your instrument. However, I am testing prototypes of a new design
    which is a direct replacement fit that will simply screw onto your bass.

I hope to produce that bridge by Fall. In testing, it has amazed all my
    bassists, so the sound is very good.

My bassists are all professional testers and they say it is the best, so if you can
    wait a little while, it will be well worth it. I would much rather sell you a bridge that
    is designed exactly for your instrument.

I hope this is helpful.

With Thanks and Bass Regards,

Glen Leo Quan"

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The real question is why would you want to do this? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge on that MIA Fender to begine with, it's certainly a much better quality bridge than the Badass V.

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You're absolutely right with the fact that there is nothing wrong with the stock Fender bridge, but as to which is better....I'm not sure I'd say definitively either is better than the other. I've used a modded Ric 4003 with a Badass II on it in the bast and loved the way the strings "felt" (hard to describe) with this bridge on it as opposed to the stock Ric bridge (I've played stock Rics as well). I wanted to get that same feeling on my Jazz Deluxe V which I did. I'm not knocking the stock Fender bridge...it's perfectly suitable for this bass. During the set-up I have to admit it was much easier and faster to intonate with the Badazz V...and that big block of zinc alloy looks really cool :D .
    It might take away from the Fender tone but I'd like to see Fender experiment with bridges similar to Leo's post Fender guitars (Musicman and G&L).

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Just as a reference, I've owned and played multiple basses with Badass Bridges and multiple basses with Fender style bridges. Including (but not limited to) a '95 MIM Jazz which I replaced the Fender bridge with a Badass, a '97 American Standard Jazz V with the stock Fender Bridge, and a '93 Peavey Palaedium with a stock Badass. I've also owned three basses with a Schaller roller bridge, two four strings (including one I assembled from parts) and one five string. I do my own setups and have installed bridges many times.

So my one sentence post is based on lots of experience doing setups and installations as well as long term ownership. I should have made this clear in my post, but sometimes I'm too brief, I apologize. IMO the stock Fender bridge on the new USA basses is far superior to anything with the Badass name on it.

In my experience the biggest advantage that any high-mass bridge such as a Badass imparts is a kind of "zingy" feel to the bass. The difference in sound on all the basses I've ever tried has been negligible at best to my ears. Yes, there may be a little more sustain, but unless you're playing songs with notes held for 10 seconds that's irrelevant.

I have also spent umpteen dollars and lots of effort modifying basses over the years, and have come to the conclusion that modding is usually a dead-end excersize. It's a lot of fun to do, and helps you really learn about how instruments are built and how they work. From that perspective, modding something like an SX is a great idea as long as you don't intend to get your money back from the excersize.

But modding a USA Fender is something I would caution against. You'll devalue the instrument at best.

Oh, another very important advantage to all the Badass bridges - they look extremely cool!

16. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    after a proper set up...plugged in I didn't notice any zigginess but what I did notice was a definite increase in deep bass punch. I don't know how this is possible but the bass seems louder both acoustically and plugged in...I'm sure it's just my ears not used to the difference in tone.

17. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Could be the strings heights.

18. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

Yeah...but I do have the action extremely low. Much lower than I had it with the stock bridge...I could get it this low with the stock bridge I'm sure....I just never tried.
    -Bazz-