1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA Jazz Std vs Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexit, Oct 18, 2006.

1. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    I've been searching for a while trying to figure out the answer to this question, but haven't found anything

I really dig the classic passive jazz sound, but I'd love to have more control. Basically, does the deluxe sound like the passive when the EQ is flat?

I've never gotten the chance to play a deluxe. THe best answer would be to go out and play them side by side, but none of my local shops have them.

2. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Hmm, some looking on harmonycentral seems to suggest that they're quite a bit different.

3. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    The newer Deluxes have the 18V pre-amp and there are more things that are NOT like the Standard:

The Deluxe has a blend knob instead of 2 volumes.
    The deluxes don't have the 60 cycle hum issues of the passives.
    The body is shaved down slightly to fit you better.
    The FMT's have 22 fret necks with 5 bolts and will not fit a standard 4 bolt Jazz. (Deluxes too, I think)
    Deluxes have the NSC (Noise-Less Sumarium Cobalt) pups (and they sound awesome!)
    Slightly better made tuners.
    Smaller headstock than standards
    Nicer (abalone looking) inlay dots (or Blocks and bindings on the FMTs)
    Silver Logo Decal (Gold on the FMTs)
    Premium Cases with the Deluxe.

All in all, I think they're a little better made, but as far as having that passive sound, NO. These pups are far more dynamic (even set flat) than standard US' have. Every one I've played were set up very well from the factory. The fret work was superb.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The MIA and MIA dlx are different basses, for one the body one the dlx bass is smaller while the neck is longer at 22 frets. The dlx does not sound like the passive bass with the pre set flat because you are still going through the pre amp. The tuners on the dlx are "light weight" to offset the longer neck and to eliminate "neckdive" The dlx bass has abalone dots while the standard bass doesn't. Dlx basses string thru the body and bridge while the standard bass only goes thru the body. Standard comes with a molded case while the dlx comes with a rectangle vintage case. The FMT is basically a deluxe dlx jazz and come with some features even the MIA deluxe doesn't have like square abalone blocks, neck binding, tension adjustable tuners, gold hardware. The MIA dlx does not have those items.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    As I've said in numerous threads. I had my tech put a
    passive switch in my am dlx jazz V, just for emergencies.
    The bass sounds almost exactly the same with the eq flat,
    or the passive switch on. With the passive option, I can
    only use my volume.

6. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Got to A / B a Standard MIA J and Deluxe MIA J at a local dealer. Both were identical in construction, alder / rosewood, string through body, 4 string (even had the same 3-color sunburst finish). The Deluxe model sounded completely different than the passive model in any configuration.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Exactly!