1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA Jazz Stock Nut Slot Cut Too Wide?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by two1frets, Oct 10, 2010.

1. two1frets

two1frets

Jul 17, 2009
    Hey TB,

I got a MIA Jazz a while back, and since then I've noticed that the open A string flops around while i play. It really doesn't ring out properly like all the other strings and sounds dead. After a little troubleshooting, I've come to the conclusion that the slot for the A string on my nut is cut to wide, but I am not 100% sure. Could you take a look at the pictures below and tell me what you think? I think this would be covered under the lifetime warranty, but I am still under the one year warranty. And by the way, these are the stock strings that came with the bass, (.045, .065, .085, .110 Gauges). Thanks!

Pic 1:
    xcm98p.jpg

Pic 2:
    28rih69.jpg

2. I think that's about right. The A-string slot seems to be too wide. If it's not covered by the warranty, they're not too expensive to replace. You could buy a blank nut and file it to the right widths if you needed to.

3. yeah not something to hard to replace urself

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You probably don't have enough windings on the tuner post, very common w/Fender-style headstocks.

5. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    +1

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yeah, make sure the string winds down on the post as far as it can.

That A string angle over the nut is critical.

If that's not it, try a tiny rectangle of paper under the string; the flopping might end there.

You can also put a drop (very, very carefully) of superglue in the string slot to tighten it up a bit. I called Music Man about this same problem I had with a Stingray nut; they told me to do this, and it worked perfectly.

I have also heard of using Shoe Goo to tighten up a nut. It isn't as tricky to use as super glue, and would do the same thing.

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    +1. I'd be very, very surprised if a nut slot that was a bit wider than necessary was the cause of your problems. Not having enough windings or downward pressure on the nut, however, would not surprise me at all.

8. and most nut slots taper at the bottom anyway, so it may still be correct if you look at it carefully.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    +1 First thing I thought of.

10. two1frets

two1frets

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks everyone, I really really appreciate your input. It didnt even go through my head to think about the windings. How dumb of me! ;D
    Thanks again!

11. Same here. You also mentioned that these are the stock strings, they may just be on their way out?

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the A on fenders is always the troublesome string; it doesn't have the hold-down of the G and D, and it's not as close as the E, so it will have a too-shallow angle unless you use extra wraps on it.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021