Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIA or Deluxe jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Feb 9, 2006.

1. MIA Jazz

24.1%
  2. MIA Deluxe Jazz

42.6%
  3. MM Stingray

33.3%
  1. Buying decision? which one is more worth the cash? Is the MM sound that different to the Jazz sound?

2. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I sold my Stingray to get a MIA Deluxe, I find the Fender a lot more versatile

3. I had an MIA Deluxe and now I have a Stingray. I liked the jazz more, from the silky fast neck to the versatile electronics. Both are high quality instruments, I just prefer the jazz deluxe more.

4. I should also mention, I do like to slap, so a good slap sound is important... does that count the Standard MIA Jazz out?

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Nope!:)

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    No, but.....personally I would use an outboard pre amp (Sadowsky or SansAmp) to help scoop the mids with a passive MIA. In which case for the extra money you could have gone Deluxe. The rolled edge fingerboards on the Deluxe are worth the extra money alone.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Seems to me, with the new pickup options, that the Stingray is now the more versitile of the options.

8. pickup options? you mean the switch or aftermarket pickups?

9. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I was in the States last week and tried out a new double humbucker SR4 in the Guitar Centre in Denver. The extra pickup does add to the variation of tone. By its very nature the extra p/up near the neck gives some very deep tones, quite P bass ish. I also found it difficult to slap as the pickup was quite close to the neck - not much space for my index finger. Nice, but still not as versatile as a MIA Deluxe Jazz IMO. I though I might get terminal gas after trying one but no, the only reason I would have bought it was to sell on here in the UK and make a few quid but I could'nt be bothered as I had a snowboard to carry on to the plane home :D