1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA P bass - can you string flats through the body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Oct 30, 2010.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    I've got a MIA 2009 Fender P bass on order and was planning on stringing it with flats as soon as it arrived. I've read in a few places different people saying you shouldn't string them through the body?

Is that right? If so how come?

(BTW, can't believe there's a 3 month backlog on Fenders cus someone balls up the paint jobs!!)

2. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    I have no idea why you 'shouldnt' but if you don't get extra long scale strings, the winding at the top of the strings are going to come part way onto the fret.
    I have a string through bass that has this issue, but it's not enough to annoy me.

3. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I had an MIA Std P bass for years, and I always strung it with either TI flats or LaBella 760 fl's, never had one problem.

4. Labella clearly says their flats aren't for string-through - although many people use them that way.

But of course you can use flats for string-through. Just use some which are designed for it.

5. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas
    My MIA Jazz+ Chromes strung through are fantastic!

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Just be sure to wear shatterproof glasses, so that when a string breaks it doesn't do serious damage. Just kidding. I've strung through flats many times.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    LaBellas are the only flats that are known to sometimes have a problem with string-through.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Fender 9050Ms do too.

9. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I have LaBellas back-doored on my P. No problem after a year.

10. I think you "can" but why bother? There's really no difference in tone or sustain or anything by stringing through body or through the bridge.

11. And I believe it's only certain sets from LaBella. Fortunately, I do believe there is a disclaimer on the packages of those particular strings. most other strings (of any brand) should present no problems.

12. This is true. If it concerns you enough, you can just forego stringing thru-body with no change in tone or sustain.

13. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I only do it so the ferrules don't fall out.

14. Elmers glue? :)

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yep. Or wood glue. That's what I used on my '08 Am. Std. P & Jazz. The ferrules were loose on both of them.

I have Chromes on both of them - one top loaded and one through the body. So you can do it either way. But I also agree with Eagle Moon regarding her "Why?" question. I really can't hear any tonal difference. I've decided that the next time I change the strings (could be awhile since flats last forever!) I'm just gonna' top load them.

But if you feel a need to go through the body, be sure you get the "Long" version if you go with the Chromes. Otherwise, as noted above, the silks will sit in the nut grooves.

16. Same here, on my '08 Jazz.

17. What about epoxy?

18. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Flat windings will cram against each other on the inside of bend radii, and spread apart on the outside radii........ I've also noticed the strings tend to twist a bit more with the through body loading....... I've tried both with chromes on my '08 MIA P, and it's an easy decision..... no tonal difference between top load and through body, but serious overtones and a chorus/fretless effect developed on the D and A strings after a couple of months...... and it didn't go away when top loading the set, so I believe the strings were damaged. Top loaded a new set, and I've had zero issues.