1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA P-Bass issues...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheNightLife, Oct 20, 2009.

1. hey guys i have an 08 mia p-bass that has been giving me issues lately. the first issue was the nut, the e string wouldnt sit tight in the nut so the e string would vibrate between the nut and tunning peg cause a clanky clashing sound when playing the e string open. so i went to gc to have the tech take a look at it and he wound up replacing the nut. yea cool everything was good up until now that i just changed my strings (which are the same gauge as the previous ones) and now my a string is doing it. please tell me im not the only one with this issue.

the guitar tech told me i dont know how to properly wind my strings the last time. ive been playing bass for 11 years, i know exactly what im doing.

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Take and post a pic of your headstock.

3. i cant at the moment unfortunately im about to go out. but i will when i get back, probably in 2-3 hours. this is the most annoying thing. lol. this is the first time i changed the strings with this nut on it. it looks like my stock nut did. gc is not going to like me tomorrow morning cause i have rehersal tomorrow and then im not going to be around lol

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    +1 for a pic

get it looking down at the headstock so you can read the logo and see the nut, and take a horitonal shot where you can see the windings and the top of the tuners

5. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    How many turns do you have on the E and A pegs? More turns (lower on peg) will put more down force across the nut and should resolve the problem.

6. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Are you sure your winding the string on the peg at the lowest position first, followed by sequential wraps afterwards on top? Kinda sounds like the problem.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm almost willing to guarantee that your problem is the way you are winding the strings on the tuners.

As said above, make sure that the string goes from the nut to the BOTTOM of the tuner shaft, with two or three windings that go UP from there.

Its usually when the string is wrapped too high on the tuner shaft that you do not get enough break angle downward from the nut.

8. so for the delayed post of the pics guys. thanks to everyone for chiming in and helping me out so quickly.

i was getting alot of glare with the flash so i turned it off but either way its still hard to see.

IMG_0413.

IMG_0412.

IMG_0411.

IMG_0408.

iduno maybe im not winding them properly but iduno lol ive been playing bass for 11 years and never had a problem till i bought this bass last year.

the a string very oddly sits low and in the nut. not like normal theres alot of play around it and you can actually bend the string alil on the 12th fret and it pops out of the groove in the nut.

9. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    The A-string issue is common to all flat-headstock basses without a full string retainer. Looks like you've got only one wind on the A string, and that's just not enough. I aim for 4 or 5 on the A, to get it as low as possible. Likewise, 3 or 4 wraps on the E string.

c-

10. How is your action set up? Does the string that has this problem sound like it has a vibrato effect on it when played open? If so, you might have to tighten the truss rod.

11. yea theres about 1 and a half winds on it lol i did it quick all it needs to do is hold up through about 3 hours of playing for rehersal (actually its more like an hour of drinking and 2 hours of playing lol) and then they come off and new ones go on which ill actually take my time doing.

the strings are set a lil closer to the neck to give alittle more fret and neck noise from the string. its where my other fenders are set up. makes for a more twangy sound. dont really have a vibrato effect but there definitly alot of string buzzing going on and its all at the nut.

12. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, you need more winds around the tuner. Too bad GC didn't just re-do that before they replaced the nut on a stock, new Fender bass. And *then* turn around and tell you it was the windings on the tuner... :rollno:

13. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I had the buzzing A string after I changed my strings from the stock Fender 8250's 45-105 to d' addario half rounds 50-105. When I purchasing the strings at Sam Ash the guitar tech there who is awesome said I may have to tighten the truss rod aboiut a quarter of a turn. Sure as heck when I tightened it the buzzing went away. That is probably the issue.

14. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    In the pic's it doesn't look like the first wrap is sitting at the absolute lowest spot( especially the E string ). TRY loosening the tension and slide it down till it bottoms out then retune. You should also try trimming off less string excess as this can cause buzzes. I normally leave 3 string posts lengths of excess on a four in a line headstock.

15. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Fenders you have to wind the strings all the way down to the bottom of the tuning peg for proper break angle across the nut.

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I wind my strings on my Fenders a few more times around the post than that, I usually don't even clip the strings, just wind em

17. so i drove to gc to have the guy who changed the nut take a look at it and i was told hes in and he wasnt. so that was a waste of an hour and a half.

ive come to the conclusion that the winding isnt the problem its the nut itself. the groove in the nut for the a string is alot bigger then the string itself. the string moves side to side freely in the nut which its not supposed to.

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hmmm, that sucks man. You could try buying a bigger E string? or just bigger gauge strings in general maybe?

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That wouldn't be acceptable to me... I want to be able to use the strings I want...

That said, I've *never* had this issue on any bass, so I suspect you are either using *really* narrow strings, aren't winding your strings correctly ( I use more wraps than you do) or your nut is fubar.

I know, not much help.

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    A MIA P-Bass and it has no string tree? What in the world? My MIM Jazz has a beautiful string tree. All Fender and Fender clone headstocks have too small an angle at the nut especially for the strings going to the farthest winding machines. I had this exact problem with my SX. A cheapo string tree to pull the strings down behind the nut fixed it right now.

Yes, it's cooler if the nut is cut exactly but that really isn't the problem. I can just about guarantee that the buzzing will quit if you tree those strings down no matter if the nut has a large U in it or not. They often are cut large so they aren't so string brand and gauge dependent. If you aren't up to it, have the guy at GC install string tree(s) for you. That fixed the problems with my SX with no changes in the nut.

Moving the strings low on the winders is just a patch job to try to get by. A string tree is the real fix.