1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIA P with maple neck - what are you using?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Aug 9, 2012.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I'm curious what others with an 08 or later Am Std P with a maple neck are using. I bought this bass to string with flats but for some reason I just can't get the "sound in my head" of flats out of it. It sounds very clacky. That being said, I love he sound of rounds on it.

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Mine's a '99, currently wearing Roto 66. Love 'em.

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    2011, currently Lo-Riders, but frequently Chromes.

4. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
  5. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Could it be the maple neck, which is supposed to be more "clanky" or "good for slapping" as some claim?

I have rosewood on three basses and ebony on the fourth, so can't really do a A - B test myself..

6. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    '09 MIA P with a maple neck here. Been using Chromes and recently put on GHS Precision Flats. Both are excellent, but I give the nod to the GHS strings.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Nickel rounds (D'Addario) go on mine these days. I'll use SS rounds (DR Hi Beams or Rotos) as well depending on the tone I want.

I've went through a few kinds of flats, but I've figured out that I just don't enjoy the tone nearly as much as rounds. Of the flats I've tried, LaBella's have been my favorite. I'll string them up if I need that tone.

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    D'addario tapes sound great on my '08 P, and they certainly dont clack.

9. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Chromes, they kill on it. Straight up raunch.