1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA Peavey Cirrus 5 versus Carvin XB75??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, Apr 9, 2010.

1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I searched around but could not find any recent discussions comparing the Cirrus 5 and XB75.

Older discussions suggested that the Carvins don't have as good tone, and that their sound might have taken a step backwards when they changed from 9V electronics to 18V. But, that was info from 3 - 4 years ago, so I assume Carvin has probably changed since then. But, are they better now....?

So, what is the current status of the Carvin and how it compares to a Cirrus 5?

They're both 35" scale (technically, just over 35" for the Carvin). Active electronics. Neck-thru body.

But how do they compare sound-wise? And playability-wise?

Thanks for any insight!

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I can't speak to the Peavey, but I love my XB75P. The monster range of tones I can cop, the feel and beauty of this thing are top notch.

XB75_Full.

3. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Hmmmm, well how about this comparison? Any comments on how a Carvin LB75 (34") compares to a Carvin XB75 (35")?

Carvin says they are the same size, physically. The XB just achieves having a longer scale by having 2 less frets, and by moving the bridge further from the neck.

So, does having that extra 1"+ of scale actually make a difference in how the B string feels and plays?

Does having the bridge and pickups further away from the neck affect its tone or playability?

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've owned them both..

you can dial in the same tones on either..

Necks feel different.

35 string tension seems to work a bit better (opinion)

I'd buy a Cirrus again.. I'd buy the Carvin again (if never selling it)

5. jaypbass

jaypbass

Jun 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I love my XB75P especialy the neck... i sold my LB75 to get the XB because the neck felt better.. more comfortable..

6. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm sure that the Carvin is nice, but I don't think it can touch this Cirrus:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

7. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I loved that episode of South Park! That Token kid sure can play bass! And who woulda thunk Cartman had those kind of vocal chops?! :D

But seriously.... Maybe I need to watch that on something better than my computer with cheap external speakers, 'cause the bass PLAYING sounded good. But, the tone of the bass didn't sound like anything special. I mean, it sounded good, but, tone-wise, I didn't think it sounded any better than 100 other bass players I've heard who were playing non-Peavey basses.

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    That clip really doesn't do the bass justice tone wise. Here is Mike Hill on a Cirrus Tigereye:

Very nice bass and playing!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

9. envy1400

envy1400

Feb 19, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    i have a cirrus bxp and i gotta say i love it. sounds great and the rounded pickups make it easy to play. string spacing is great too. cant say ive played a carvin

10. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, I've never played the Carvin in question, so I don't know how valid my opinion is. The XBs sure look nice, that's for sure. I have played 2-4 different Carvins over the years and they've never inspired me or jumped out as something special.

The Cirrus that I own now destroys any of the Carvins I've played. The basic tone of the Cirrus, while top-notch, is not what makes it really special. What truly sets the Cirrus apart is it's playability and the flexibility of the electronics. Even a novice can get a nice, easy to play setup on the Cirrus and the EQ yields a variety of usable tones. Even at extreme settings, the Cirrus sounds great. I don't think there is a bad tone to be had in it.

11. My TL-5 sounds almost identical to the Cirrus, if you really want the sound, but can't deal with the 35" scale, try to find a TL-5. They are basically a 34" scale cirrus. I have never played the Carvin in question, but the cirri are top notch basses.

lowsound

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I looked at a lot of Carvins at NAMM, and felt that they don't come even close to the USA Cirrus.

My Cirrus 5 with Elixirs is simply amazing. I just need to learn to play it!

I bought a BXP 4 and returned it - not in the same league as the USA models, IMHO.

13. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Carvin has updated their electronics significantly in the past 2 years, so new - new should be used as a true comparison.

14. Cirrus way better I have a 4 and a 5 string both made in USA look you really can't go wrong w buying an instrument made here. From what I understand of Carvin they are quality instruments as well. I just like Peavey the neck feel is superb. It is sleek and yes the range of sounds just is unmatched. Oh and btw a studio engineer's dream come true as far as not having any issues w a bass guitar when recording.

15. since Marley's Ghost posted a pic I feel obligated:

[​IMG]

16. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Thanks for the responses, guys. For the record, I already have a MIA Cirrus 5. I'm really just curious how the Carvin compares. My Cirrus is my first and only 5-string and I have it in my head to get another 5-string, just to have for backup and for comparison purposes. I'm on a MIA-only kick right now (and a budget), so the contenders, in my mind, are Peavey, Carvin, and Fender. I'm not real big on Fender. I like a more slender neck. Plus, from all I've read here, it sounds like I can get a better MIA 5-string for less money than buying Fender (comparing used to used). I think I'd most prefer to find a Peavey G-V or B-Quad 5. But, after reading up on Carvin, I thought one of those might work and give me a different perspective on 5-strings versus getting another Peavey. And thus, my question.

And the responses here have me thinking that, once I've gotten spoiled by my Cirrus, I'm probably not going to like a Carvin. Especially if it's older and doesn't have the latest Carvin electronics.

17. deekay911

deekay911

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    +1
    just spent a month of weekends in the studio and the engineer was dead chuffed with the Cirrus sound, absolutely no issues at all, and a killer combo with the Samsamp BDDI for recording.

18. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Order an XB75 from Carvin and try it for yourself. They have a 10 day no risk money back guarantee.

19. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Well, that sounds like a great idea! Except for the part where I would have to pay for it in order to keep it. Ordering it KNOWING that I'm definitely not going to keep it, well that's not how I do business.

20. I saw many comparisons in this thread to a Cirrus BXP - this is not the same as a USA Cirrus.

That said, I've owned and played the Carvins (4's, 5's and 6's) and I currently own 4 USA Cirrus 5's, having previously owned two 4's. I'll take the Peavey over the Carvin from a feel perspective. The neck feels better particularly at the nut, whereas a carvin feels a bit "fat". From an asthetic perspective, the Carvins are beautiful - at least equal to a Cirrus and in many cases Carvins are superior to them. Carvin is essentilly a custom shop and they do tremendous work. Tonally, the two are very comparable in that you can adjust to what you want to hear very easily, but I prefer the somewhat "bigger" and more full sound of the Cirrus - though it must be mentioned that you can customize your PU needs with the Carvin if you buy new. Access to the 24th is very good on both.

Peaveys retain a better resale value, which still isn't good if you bought new, but still better than Carvins. Why? I really don't know - perhaps people unacqainted with Carvin may be skeptical of a "mail order / catalog" instrument. This works out well for those of that are buyers as it keeps the cost down! :)

I don't think you can go wrong with either - If I weren't playing USA Cirrus', I'd be all over the Carvins - though I'd go with the Icon series these days.

Mac - HEDDA