Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lakerkobe, Jul 2, 2002.

1. lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I know this has been discussed before... so maybe just a yes or no will do if you have an opinion... but are MIA Fender Jazz worth the extra cash and are THAT much better than MIM?
  2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    alright i am about to blow alot of people away with this, but all of the bodies and necks are made in corona, cali. then the mex's are sent to mexico to be sanded and finished. and the american are fineshed here.

the mex might have not the best quality wood. but they are still made in the same plant.

and o the MIA are better. harware mostly. and the pups in the mex's and MIA's are made in america not saying that they are the same but still made in california!!!

4. lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Anybody know why the Special Edition MIM Jazz is "Special"?
  5. It's Special Ed:eek: It's retarded... No really if your taking about the P-bass Special it has that jazz pickup at the bridge and it has a Jazz neck...I think??... Oh.. you were talking about the MIM jazz Special???.....um.. never head of it. but they do make a deluxe active jazz MIM..

get the MIA....
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That's everything, though. I don't care where it's made, but I do care what it's made of.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Mexi's just dont feel the same, they have to cost more for something.......
  8. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Don't the MIAs have bigger frets ?
    I bought a MIA strat instead of a MIM mainly because of that,I could have swapped the p/ups and tuners etc.but frets are tougher to do.I think the basses are the same way,but I'm not sure.
  9. As a general rule of thumb yes, the MIAs are worth the extra cash. However, it is possible to get a MIM that will blow away MIAs for a lot less money - although you may wanna upgrade pups!!!

I bought an MIM Jazz Fretless 'cos I didn't have the extra money to spend at the time. Although through time I will have enough to upgrade the pups to something a bit more meaty!!!! I also went for a sunburst finish 'cos the wood is a bit nicer (you see the grain through the sunburst)

Best bet for you is try all the MIAs and MIMs that you can and you decide if it's worth the extra - on the day you may just find an MIM surprises you and is the best of the bunch you tried. That way, you'll know that on the day you chose the best instrument for you, regardless of what it says on the headstock (but remember and have the money for an MIA as they will likely turn out best!)
  10. The Mexi necks don't have graphite reinforcement rods.
  11. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I think my MIM fretless jazz is better than any fender bass I pick up at the store. I put DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and a Gotoh bridge and shielded it. I put TI-flats on it. But the result of all the modifications is a bass that I find more comfortable than any Fender I've ever played. And it sounds as good if not better than most MIA fenders. Every time I go to the local music store to check out their stuff I realize that I have more fun playing my bass. The only bass that I really think is noticably better than mine is the fretless Stingray I played a couple of weeks ago. I don't have that kind of money though.

So, MIM fenders, when set up to your taste and with proper shielding and better pickups can beat MIA's.
  12. I've found that both MIA and MIM Jazzes tend to vary in quality, but I can honestly say that I 've never played a stock MIM that felt, sounded or was put together as well as the worst MIAs I've played. Just my experience, of course. The MIM's are good value for the money, though, especially if you're into modding.
  13. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    The MIA units have a range of subtle improvements. funkycarnivore already mentioned the graphite in the necks, there are also better woods, better hardware, better PU's, all of which contribute to an overall better bass. Now recently I have noticed an improvement in MIM quality, particualarly in the MIM vintage pieces (60's Jazz, etc.). Still for the price of a MIM you can usually find a slightly used MIA, and that would seem to be the better deal.
  14. I'm begining to think the biggest difference is the amount of dead spots in the MIM necks.

I'm going to replace both of my MIM necks with Warmoth.
  15. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have owned both MIA and MIM Fender basses. The MIA is definitely better and more valuable in the open market.
  16. pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    yes..mia ..droped it ..left it in the rain..lots of punk gigs where beer has been thrown all over it..accidentally stuck it in a ceiling fan and it keeps playing nite in nite out..i have come to appreciate
    it now..would never give it up.not sure if a mim would handle that..granted it shouldnt have to.
  17. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    MIM - in my opinion is a better deal, but the mia are definately better, bridge seems sturdier, i like the electronics better, and the neck is much stiffer. But i think a MIM with a warmoth neck, after-market pups, and a new bridge is better than any MIA fender, but then you are only keeping the body from the mim fender.
  18. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think you should just go try out Fenders regardless of where they are from. I've played MIM's they killed MIA's, and I've played Squiers that killed MIM's.