MIA vs. MIM Fender factory setups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, May 14, 2004.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm curious about something. Every time I play a MIM fender unplugged in a shop it seems to have this real clanky quality on its neck. Almost like the neck is hollow or plastic. This becomes less apparent the times I've tried a Highway 1 and non-existent on the MIA's. For you Fender players out there, can this be alleviated with a proper setup or is that just one of the quality differences between the MIM's and MIA's?
  2. I feel the same way. MIM's always felt less solid to me, both the body and neck. It may be a wood difference.
  3. Here's some info from a friend in Canada who is a teacher, repair tech, not to mention a well known bassist!

4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    "But when you consider what it cost to get it playable and to sound right that's not such a good deal. First off $125 for a Seymour Duncan pickup. Then 2 hours of labour by me at $40 per hour to install the pickup, adjust the neck, file down some high frets and put on a set of Thomastics. Then the other day he brought it back to me to install Straplocks because his strap kept falling off and while i was doing that I noticed another fret had lifted a bit and I had to glue that one down and clamp it in place, then set the action again. Another hour of shop time."

No offense but this sounds like someone trying to milk a kid for all he is worth. MIM Fenders may not be the best instruments but you don't NEED to replace the pickup. Those stock pickups are pretty decent. And he is faulting the instrument for the strap falling off of the strap buttons?? Lots of basses come with standard strap buttons. And a good set up and fret leveling is most likely required of any low priced instrument. Me thinks this guy will say anything to get another hour of labor out of this instrument and another $40 in his pocket.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As an MIM P-bass owner, a new pickup isn't a bad idea, but if you shop around, play a bunch of basses, you won't need hours of setup time with fret levelling. I got one with a great neck, no problems, and I just had to do a simple setup. $389 new isn't bad at all if you play a bunch and pick out the good one. Toss in a pro setup, and maybe a total of $430 USD and you have a great bass. New good strings for $450 and you have a heckuva bass. Drop in a Dimarzio and for $500 you have a sweet bass. But there's no reason to spend hours and hours being set up unless you're pro.
  6. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    i think what's wrong today is that we have too many options. Back in the 60s youd buy your bass, and the frets werent level. The pups were stock, there were no straplocks, you name it. Youd probably just play the bass as it came. I mean, look at the tele bass's saddles!

Back then there was no way you could just upgade your bass. thats the difference. today we are bombarded with so many different options...