MIA -VS- MIM Precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jan 15, 2004.

1. I'm thinking of buying a good ol' P-bass to add to my collection ( ahem.. :rolleyes: ).
    I want to A/B the " standard " P-bass with the " American " P-bass.

Now about the financial issue.. the Standard Precision bass costs about 550 euro ( US $ 700 ). The American precision bass costs about 1100 euro ( US $ 1400 ).

What are the exact differences between them, apart from the thru-body option on the american one ? What is the difference soundwise ?
  2. I think it's quite hard to describe the difference between the two basses with out sounding like everyone else and telling you what you expect to hear. I'd say, from my experience, with an American P you will get the P sound...the sound that makes you want one but with the MIM the sound just isn't quite there. In my personal opinion, the precision pick up is so simple...is could there really be a big difference? (I am just talking american passive pickups here).
    I think the best way to tell the difference between the MIM and the MIA is to have owned a MIM and then moved on up the MIA. When I went from MIM and MIA...the big differences were...
    the neck was so smooth and the grain of it looked brilliant.

The bridge worked. (on MY MIM the action kept changing)

No lose spring in the bridge.

No noise that isn't the THUMP when plugged in.

Better accoustic sound.

I'd say if you got a MIM you'd be happy with it but you will feel like it COULD be better where as with the MIA P...it's well MIA

I am sure some people will say I've played MIM that rival the MIA...well I say, give em both a good setup and put em through a good amp and you will see which is better.

hope that helped.
  3. well If got a MIM Jazz, and it's a very comfortable bass to play, but the only prob. I have with it, is that I don't really think of it as a "Fender", sure it's close but it isn't a real one. If that doesn't bother you buy a MIM, but if you want a REAL Fender I would suggest the MIA. (I like the MIA Highway series P basses, lovely finish on those)
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'll agree with Rowan, but will add that a MIM with some simple upgrades (bridge, pup and possibly tuners) can be a nice player for not alot of $.
  5. I don't think you would need to replace the tuners, If'I'm not mistaking the tuners on the MIM are the same as on the MIA, the biggest difference is in the neck (MIA has graphite reinforced necks), the bridge and ofcourse the pickups....
  6. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I cant believe how many times this question has be asked,want a quick asnswer ? GO PLAY 1 OF EACH AND THE ANSWERS WILL JUMP OUT AND BIT YOU ON THE NOSE :bassist: .
    The differences are way to many to debate,some are opinions some sre facts,why do you think one os half the price of the other,DO THE MATH.
  7. Well that's sort of the problem, erhh... " dude ".

Shops over here don't exactly have MIA fenders in store, because they're not sold so often and are a little too expensive to have " laying around ". I've tried serveral shops, but was unable to find a MIA p-bass. they do have MIA jazzbasses tho.

and i'm not looking for opinions, because pretty much every talkbasser knows that AllodoX have a mind of their own and are not influencable with opinions. We seek cold hard solid facts. I'm not the kind of person that smacks down 1100 bucks to find out that i could have gotten something similar for half the price. I want to see, feel and hear where the other 500 bucks went.
  8. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Damn, the prices you're getting are horrible. I'm about positive that here in the US you can get an MIA Precision for around $900
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Difference in body woods.

USA has ash/alder(probably alder) MIM agathis or similiar.

Tuners are cheap on the MIM. The neck on the MIM does not have graphite reinforcement were as the US does.

The pup on the MIM is alittle weak compared to the US model. IMHO
  10. how about that " S1 " system on the new MIA's ?
  11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I tried the new Fenders with the switch and was thoroughly unimpressed. I liked the standard setting the best and I ended up buying one of the older American series Fenders. The switch sounded a little different but I didnt think it was any better.
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Don't forget the bastard child Highway 1 basses- MIA sound at an in-between price. If you don't mind a non-gloss finish, you're gold.
  13. nah.. don't want paint.. i want this ( but the right-handed one ofcourse.. ) :D

Ever since i saw this photo, i've developed an unusual GAS for a clear finish P-bass with maple fretboard and black pickguard.

14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Oh man is that bass sweet! I like the odd lefty logo.
  15. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey AllodoX,
    MIM basses don't come with maple necks!
    They don't come in natural finishes.
    They don't come string thru the body.
    The MIA come with MUCH BETTER tuners with adjustable saddles(for spacing).
    The MIA has a graphite reinforced neck.
    MIA basses come in more color options, and remember you can get that color with a maple neck!
    MIA electronics are superior to the MIM's which will make the MIM's sound weeker by comparison.
    MIA bassse come with hard shell casses, the MIM basses come in a cardboard box.
  16. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Thanks folks for an informative thread. I've been considering buying a new P-bass and I've had the same questions. I'm very surprised at how expensive the MIA P-bass Deluxe is as well as the MIA Standard. I've only spent more than $1500.00 on a bass once, my Modulus Q-4, and I've decided to stay at a $1500.00 limit. Heck, I found my Alembic Europa for less than $1500.00 new in 1996! The only place I've checked out the P-basses at are my local G.C.. Unfortunately all they had were MIM models. It looked like they were letting their inventory run down a bit. Can anyone let me know what's the general prices of the MIA Deluxe and Standard models?

Thanks again, A.P.
  17. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Now about the financial issue.. the Standard Precision bass costs about 550 euro ( US $ 700 ). The American precision bass costs about 1100 euro ( US $ 1400 ).

They have pawn shops in your neck of the woods?

I wouldn't mind either but wouldn't pay that for either either.