Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIAMI MIAMI MIAMI!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Dec 9, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

Going to be a sweet game!!!
    Somehow or another, the 'Canes will have to shore up the running defense to stop Claret.
    This is the perfect challenge for Miami.

One more game for Dorsey who, IMO, over the last two years has demonstrated a strong statistical and intangible case for the Heisman.

I like McGahee too, but wouldn't it be nice to see him stay in college to freakin' graduate!!! Maybe if he doesn't win the trophy, he might be tempted to stick around another year to get it?

Nah...ain't gonna happen.

2. Actually, McGahee IS in fact staying at U of M for another year, so we can count on getting our butts kicked by Miami again. (FSU fan here).

I PERSONALLY feel McGahee is far more deserving of the Heisman than Dorsey, and I honestly think neither one is the best player in the nation (which the award is designated for; NOT MVP!). Just my opinion.

I feel the Heisman should come down to Carson Palmer of USC or Larry Johnson of Penn State.

But anyways, despite my HATRED for the 'Canes, I am pulling for you guys to win the title again, because you deserve it. Same reason I wanted you to beat Nebraska last year; that was a piss-poor excuse for a title game opponent. IMO, Ohio State isn't even the best team in the Big Ten. They couldn't move the ball against my grandmother. You have to be good on both sides of the ball to be a champion, and Ohio State isn't, at all.

Miami has the personnel to stop the run. What they have to do is stop playing that stupid two-deep safety scheme against run-oriented teams like Ohio State. They NEED to bring the two safeties up to help in run support.

Put Willfolk and Joseph in the middle, put 8 guys in the box and close to the line of scrimmage, add Miami's team speed, and tell me, who will run on that?

No Big Ten or Big 12 school can compete with Miami's athleticism. Not to mention they have a better team too; that usually helps.

It's hard for me to say this, but I will utter this, in a quiet voice: go canes

:p

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Johnson has some better numbers, but he's playing on an offense where there are no other options.

He earned about 1.6 more yards per carry than McGahee, but on receptions, McGahee pulls off an average 6 yards more. On balance, McGahee is a better overall runningback.

Plus, Johnson's numbers are skewed based on some big games.

McGahee had 10 games where he rushed over 100yds (exceptions - FLAM, where he came out early and FSU, which was a

Johnson had 4 sub-100yd games (CFU, equivalent to Miami's FAMU then IOWA, MICHIGAN, and OHIO STATE - all three losses). Had Johnson stepped up to near his average - maybe they could have won one. He averaged between 3.7-4.6 yards in those games. About 1/2 his overall average YPC.
    How could you call him a big-game player?

Carson Palmer is another story.

That's a high flying air-oriented offense. How did he perform in the losses?

K-State, 1 td, 0 int, 186 yds, 39% - pretty mediocre.
    WSU, 2 td, 1 int, 381 yds, 64% - nice game...but then again...not enough.

That's about a match to Dorsey's performance against FSU. That was a come from behind win, where he threw two TDs, one going into halftime, the other with about 8 minutes left.

The other tight one (Pitt) Dorsey was not much better than Palmer's K-State performance (1 td, 1 int, 163yds, 53.85%).

When it comes down to it, Dorsey wins games.
    I'd rather have him as my play-caller than any other QB in college and probably most pros. Regardless of skills, the man has the ability to read and exploit defenses. That's what made Montana a winner, not a great arm, but a great mind.

4. To each his own.

Anyways, here's to Miami beating Ohio State.

5. I'll say this much, if USC played Miami right now, Id bet the barn on SC. People were injured in the K state and wash st game.

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    The last team to beat Ohio State was....The University of South Carolina, the cocks. In last years Outback bowl. To bad the cocks sucked this year.

ahh nothing like pluging the home school..hehe.

:D :eek:

7. USC, Miami = the two best teams in college football.

Larry Johnson plays on a team with several other options. He also runs behind a worse offensive line (but still decent) than McGahee. He11, I could gain 1,000 yards running for UM. That said, I still think McGahee is BY FAR the best player on that team right now.

Regarding PSU's offense, Bryant Johnson is a Top 25 player on Mel Kiper's Draft board, and Zack Mills is a good soph. QB.

Regarding Dorsey, I think it would be really hard to lose with the talent on that team, and I don't think he is the reason they win most of their games. They will do excellently with Brock Berlin next year.

If McGahee wins the Heisman, I wouldn't be disappointed in the least. But if Dorsey wins, it just seems that any QB on an unbeaten team automatically deserves the Heisman, and IMO that isn't true. Remember Gino Toretta? i.e ---> the WORST Heisman QB ever, who won games cause of his receivers and the rest of the team?

I personally would rather have MANY QB's; but hey, it's obviously working for Miami. ;)

BTW; I sent you a PM ZuluFunk.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm really looking fwd to Brock Berlin.

I'm more looking fwd to seeing Frank Gore.

9. Yeah Zulufunk - Isn't it ironic that McGahee, who wouldn't have even started at the beginning of the year, has become one of the best players in the nation and a Heisman candidate?

Miami will lose Dorsey, Andre Johnson (most likely; he is a STUD prospect for the NFL!) and much of the dominating defense.

But a Gore/McGahee backfield could potentially develop to be one of the best in college ball HISTORY. Although if McGahee wins the Heisman and the 'Canes win the national title, I just can't see him staying, despite what he says. What would he have left to prove?