Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mic 100 watt tube amp or buy a louder amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbird, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jbird

jbird

Jun 10, 2004
    Southern California
    I have an Ampeg B15R all tube 100 watt amp (re-issue). it's got a nice sweet tube sound, but I may join a hard-driving alt/rock band with a loud drummer & guitarist and I'm not sure if 100 watts will cut it. Will I be fine with this amp just by mikeing it or running a cable out the back to the PA or would I be better off buying a new Mesa Big Block 750 with a Powerhouse 1000 cab?
    I'm new to playing bass so any insight & thoughts from you vets, that will help with my decision are much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jbird

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Are you kidding? Get the Big Block and the Powerhouse if you can afford it. I played through an M-Pulse 600 and a Powerhouse 1000 a few years ago and couldnt imagine anything sounding or thundering much better.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Maybe an Ampeg tube head? Not a new one, but an older SVT-II or vintage one. Or if you want to go Mesa, the 400+ is all tube. If wight is an issue, then you are on the dot for a good lightweight (in comparison to a tube amp) powerful amp.

4. Depends on your PA in my opinion, If you're digging the sound you got, then sticking with it is an obvious good move, but if your PA is of poor quality then your sound may get changed by running through it.

I personally play in a band with a loud guitarist and drummer, though the drummer isn't mic'ed, and I find that I can rather easily keep up with both of them with only my 100 watt tube amp at 8 ohms, it's cranked, but I get that sweet tube breakup!

Then again, it can never hurt to try out louder amps if you got the money to spend on one!

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ditto, only i'm using a 60 watt tube head! And I still keep up fine. In fact, the drummers we've tried out have said i'm the loudest bassist they've heard locally. :eyebrow:

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If you like the tone there are ways to get the volume (I've been mic'ing a THD univalve with an Audix Focus 12 and 15 and they're pretty decent mics for cheap) and that's one angle I'd take unless I was just up for a change or something additional that I wanted anyway. The band may or may not happen, may or may not be worth the investment or even being in, and may or may not last. Try the Peg and see how it does when the time comes. Money's not particular about when it's spent in my experience.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    IMHO you are not going to get the breakup of a driven tube amp any other way. If you like that sound mic it or if it has a line out add a power amp and cab.

8. Mmmmmm, SVT-II, much goodness!

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    B15E? (extention cab, cool blue tolex )

Aj

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 I was going to suggest using a power amp aswell. :smug:

11. bump

didnt want to start a new thread and this is pretty much on the same topic, including the power amp.

im looking at the PV valve king head, its for guitar, but all tube. 100 watts at (switchable) 4/8/16 ohms. I was wondering if that would be loud enough, i use alot of distortion and the dist on that thing is nuts, aswell as having a very nice clean sound. would 100 watts goin to a peavey 410 cab be enough power for a metal band?

i am using a QSC power amp and pre right now, and im not sure if it would work, but couldnt i hook up the power amp to the effects send of the head?

I know you cant run a tube amp with out a load for buncha reasons, but if the signal is being transfered to the power amp and not to the power tubes(i dno) would that matter? and if so, is there a way to solve that?

i need a head for a guitar rig/recording so im trying to figure out the most money conserving way to get both.

thanks for your help/any input

andy

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yes, it will work, and probably sound sweet as well! The best thing is to get the 4x10 at 8 ohms, so you can add another later (which you may need).

13. so since technically im running the amp with out a load, its not a problem because the signal is just going to the power amp and not the power tubes in the head?

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you really like the all-tube sound, keep the tube amp and buy something economic solid state that'll give you a decent tone. Use the tube amp for best tone when you can for smaller stuff, and break out the louder head when you need the extra oomph. That's what I do, and it seems to be working good for me so far.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    For most stuff I do my old 50 watt Bassman does the trick. But when I need that extra push over the cliff (and when I play some dive where I don't want to risk the vintage amp) I pull out my 160 watt Peavey head.

16. well the thing is i need wicked loud all the time, not just for sum things. im usin 600 watts and thats just loud enough, and i need that kind of power most of the time. so i just need to know if 1) a 100 watts tube head could get to about that same level with a 410, or if i could hook the power amp up to the head without having the power tubes in the head explode.

thanks

17. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

this may not help out any but in running the THD Uni with the line out volume control maxed into a QSC 1450, it was audible but of no use. It's only an 18 watt amp but you're supposed to be able to use it as a preamp - which you may be able to for guitar but not much use for bass.

That's my limited experience.

I'm suprised these technical tube guys haven't jumped in.

Maybe it's considered sacrilegious or something.

18. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    send a message to BbbyBld. I asked about the valve king head for spliting my bass signal and running a tube and ss rig stereo or using it for my guiar. He tried the vavle king with his bass and now says he may use it as his #1 gigging amp. That was a few weeks ago so who knows what he's using. But I imagine it would sound similar to an old bassman

19. WOAH, wait a sec here - I'm confused about the configuration you are discussing here but PLEASE DON'T run a tube output section without the appropriate load, either speakers or some sort of speaker emulating dummy load. You can use a direct box to get a signal from your speaker terminals or dummy load to your other power amp (some attenuators have an output too) but you have to have that low impedence load. You are asking for expensive trouble if you run these things (tube power stages)without a load.

Peace,
    S