Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mic advice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Howard K, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, my dads mate gave him a mic abnd he gave it to me... I plan to use it to record, but I've no idea what kind of mic it is, and therefore how to use it!

This is everything it says on the mic itself... what does this mean, do need to use phantom power/or not, and what kind of recording quality will I get from it?

Dynamic Microphone
    500 ohm & 50k ohm
    Cardioid DM-1000D
    It was a switch between low and high impedance

Help?!

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It's dynamic, which means you won't need phantom power (it's condenser mics that use phantom power).

Cardioid refers to the pickup pattern - i.e. in a heart-like shape - highest response at the front, and not much at the back.

As for recording quality, I couldn't tell you... give it a go! Do you know if it's an expensive mic, or a cheap one?

Particularly if it's a cheap one, it might well have crappy bass response, and not be too good for micing up a bass amp (is that what you'd be doing with it?).

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I have no idea of the price.. I'll see if I cant find out.

I hadnt gpt any plans of how to use it yet actually, probably to record guitar(s)... and if it can pick up bass I'll try recording my DB with it.

I expect it's cheapy mind.

fanks

how you gettnig on with those transcriptions then?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh. Don't mention the transcriptions! :D

Actually, they're ok. I'm doing the Mingus one at the moment...

What's my deadline, BTW? 4th of March wasn't it?

Oh yeah, and they will be handwritten (don't worry, it's pretty neat). I did get hold of a free demo of a notation program, and I started doing the Sly & Family Stone song on it, but then it turned out it expired after a week or so, with no warning :rolleyes:

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    It was 4th March yes.

Handwritten I can live with!

I bought a Mingus book the other day actually and it has the complete transcrition to Fables in it so I shall be able to check!

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, thanks, but that's a bit much to read online. I think maybe I'll buy one of those basic series books from amazon for £4 or summit ;)

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    download the .doc and use the company laserprinter when nobody's looking.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Holy crap. Can I borrow that book? :D j/k

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    tee-hee!

actually i had to buy it, t'was only a tenner for 52 transcriptions, most have bass clef, some are just chords and melodys... and some are full horn parts for the entire track.

so far I've not had much time, but I started working on the verse line from fables.. I tell you summit, playing around that F in 1st position is bloody difficult on DB!!!

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    F?!? But I thought that tune was in Z# Demented?!? Oh dear...

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well moley, Z# demented is actually the same as F#KCED Minor, but with a bloated fiftieth.

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh yes, you're right.

The real trouble, though, is with that Steve Lawson tune - it's in Kb Demolished! All those flats in the key signiature!

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I believe Steve writes a lot in Kb demolished.

Simelar sounding to playing the lime scale over a pull chord, imo

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Very true.

You might try playing the iron chord with the fish scale, too.