1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mic and Micpreamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by moresbum, Apr 17, 2010.

1. moresbum

moresbum Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Dear, Folks

Thanks to your help (thread related Larry & Ben's gear), I just bought fish man Full Circle. And I decide that I use both Full Circle and Mic.
    I searched the TB for Mic information. And I found some mics.

1) Choeps cmc6 + Mk41
    2) Neumann KM 185
    3) Audio Technica ATM 350
    4) DPA 4099B.

These are my plan.
    (Live situation) 1) MIC - FOH or 2)MIC-MICPRE-FOH
    (Practice purpose recording) 1)MIC - apogee duet 2)MIC - MICPRE-duet

Unfortunately,, My MAXIMUM budget is about $2,000
    So if I choose choeps - I cannot buy mic pre.
    and If i choose KM185 - I can buy mic pre but about $1,000
    and if I choose ATM350 - I can buy mic pre about $1,500

When I'm in the small club live situation, Is micpre necessarry?
    What is the most wise choice?
    And if your recommendation is mic with mic-pre, could you recommend micpre that is usefull at the live situation?

add: My bass is holzhner and I use Velvet Garbo string.!!

Thanks a lot!

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Morebum,
    You should take a look at the new DPA 4099 especially if you are going to use the mic in live performances. It's a unique design that has great rejection since it's a miniature shotgun. They are very small and lightweight and only require a 48v phantom power supply. The ATM is the least expensive of your choices but also a very nice mic.

Ric

3. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you can deal with the size, the PR40 seems well liked on bass, and you can get then used for $250 shipped or less.

4. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It's a great mic but also very big, in comparison with the DPA 4099 and the ATM 350. There's one other thing I thought of, the AMT SP25B. (TP) If you like the mic there there have been several for sale used on Talkbass recently.

Ric

5. +1

the pr40 is a great mic, but a blunderbuss to deal with ... mine is retired to the studio, i just couldn't deal with the clumsiness of the rig, plus the dpa blows everything else out of the water for live sound ... plus it's good enough to record with.

for the price of the schoeps, you can get the dpa 4009 and a very high quality mic pre, like the summit or a daking and still have spare change.

jeff.

waterstradt likes this.
  6. douglas81

douglas81

Sep 24, 2006
    Poland
    ...yes, but nothing will beat the Schoeps on bass, in my experience.

7. there is no doubt they make beautiful microphones ... i just like the practicality of a mic that sonically is knocking on the door of the schoeps and can live on the bass. mine never comes off.

but, i certainly won't argue the schoeps magic.

jeff.

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Douglas,
    My question would be can you use the Schoeps for live sound? IMHO there are great mics in the studio like the Neumann and Schoeps, but they aren't designed for live concert applications. I've never heard any thing like the Neumann's in the studio, it does indeed sound just like my bass. Actually, it captures every detail and nuance of the instrument.
    The closest thing I've heard that has some of those qualities is the DPA 4099. Additionally, it has incredible off axis rejection, making it an ideal choice for live performance.

Ric

9. schoeps hypercards are remarkably directional, which is why they are the gold standard for location film sound. perfectly suited for amping a bass ... they just cost a fortune.

jeff.

10. moresbum

moresbum Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    wow, It really helped me. Thanks a lot :)

11. mikekcurtis

mikekcurtis

Jul 18, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Here's a winning combo I've run into:

The Headway EDB-1 is a sweet preamp, a little smaller than the LR Baggs, and has two channels. Channel one has a quarter inch input, (i.e. your pickup), and channel two has a quarter inch in, AND a XLR in for a mic (the DPA). Each channel has its own gain, and the EQ is extremely powerful. If you're playing in a combo with no PA, you can send the "blended" signal of both your pickup and mic back to your amp. If you're playing with a PA, the Headway's still great for your pickup, and you can send the mic to it as well, or straight to FOH, just to make the sound guy happy.

The Headway also supplies phantom power to the 4009-B. It's only 18 volts, which has worried many, but DPA has done extensive testing with the Headway preamp and 4009-B together and they say it's just great!

The DPA 4009-B blows my mind. Portable, sturdy, reliable.
    I've seen the EDB-1 for around $290-315 and the DPA for $560-650.

Hope this helps!