Mic check?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gut_Implosion, May 13, 2004.

1. Since the recent destruction (i swear it wasnt on purpose) of my vocal mic, I decided that my next mic should be A. Higher Quality, B. Still under $70, and C. a good condenser that i can also use to mic my cab.

If anyone could help me out in finding a good mic, thatd be great. Im currently looking at a Shure PG57 Cardiod Condenser Mic for $50-60.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Spend $80 and get an SM-57. It's a real mic.

BTW, the PG57 is not a condenser mic, it's dynamic.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I was under the impression that condensers were not used on bass cabs... Is that true? If so, why?
  4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Do the following three searches:

[SM-57] you are gonna need the "-"
    [AKG D112] don't use the "-"
    [Neumann] don't add any numbers

I think you will get some good reading.

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
  6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    :D :D
  7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Condensors (in general) are a bit too sensitive for doing casual mic'ing of bass cabs.

PG-57 is not a condensor. It is the entry level version of Shure's much better and fully trusted dynamic SM-57. SM-57 is great for all around mic'ing, but not quite a bass cab mic, though you could use it, successfully even.

Bass cabs are best mic'd with something like what you would use to mic a kick drum. As long as it's made to handle the SPLs that a kick drum puts out, you should be good to go (especially in the long run). These can get expensive, but some are to be had for cheaper. No, you won't get a name like Shure, but you'll have something that works. Would it be better than going with an SM-57? Ehh, probably the same if not you'll do better with just going with the suggested SM-57.

SM-57s can be had for about $80 or so online, almost the same at stores, and for a bit cheaper used, but buying mics used...ehh, maybe only from someone I trusted. You never know... :ninja:

I am the most budget minded person out there. But there is a difference between something that is inexpensive and something that is VALUE-PRICED. Investing the extra $10-$20 on a mic that'll last you many, many years and as versatile as an SM-57 is (you can use it for practically ANYTHING), now THAT is both a value and a bargain. You won't even remember $10-$20 in a week.

8. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    +1 on SM-57. It's worth the extra $15-20 over your budget (around $80 - 90 new at most music shops). Or get one off ebay for like $50 -- they're damn-near indestructible, so it's unlikely you'll get a dud.

You definitely don't want a condenser of any flavor for miking a bass cab; can't handle the SPL.

FWIW: To really mic a bass cab effectively you need (as prescribed by others) something more like a kick drum mic -- an AKG D112, a Shure Beta 52, an Audix D6, etc.
    I personally like the Audio Technica ATM-25 (NOT the PRO-25) for kick drum and bass cab miking.