1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mic choices on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marial, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi all, I've been getting back into playing my upright lately and have worked up a couple of pieces I want to record eventually. While I have a Rev Solo II pickup on the bass, I'd rather mic it. I'm on a budget, so I can't spend more than $500 on a mic, and these two were recently recommended:

Aston Microphones Spirit Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone

sE Electronics sE2200a II Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone

Do any of you have experience with either of these or does anyone have other suggestions? I'm looking for a mic to place at a distance so it will also pick up some of the room (I plan on recording in a large space with very high ceilings). Thanks!

2. JAKBOUND

JAKBOUND

Dec 14, 2007
    Houston
    Check out this thread in the Amps, Mics, and Pick Ups section. Recording equipment is usually discussed in that section, and you will get a better response from the gear junkies their. Best to post this question there.
    Found my go to mics for recording solo bass

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Marial likes this.
  3. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Thank you! I rarely venture over to this side and didn't notice that subforum.

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    You can find a lot of good mics for well under $500.

5. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Any suggestions?

6. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I had good luck with the Audio Technica 4033a great all around mic!

I also liked the Shure SM81 - we bought it for recording our mando, banjo and guitar players but i also had great luck with it.

when i mixed both together, it was great! especially for the price!

i think the AT is $400 new and the Shure was about $250
    HDeVYTcgGc-upuwn0pzLI5eWnlGlvpC6GJ0uudejdYh-wPt084n9ndGVQv7VA2Kn7IF4mtdPVk-HNiQ&owa=outlook.live.jpg

Marial likes this.
  7. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    I get a sense that something like the RØDE NT4 X/Y Stereo Condenser Microphone might serve. I have one - not used by me in this way (yet :)) but it seems that it might be an interesting option - and it didn't cost me more than a few hundred, secondhand. Nice versatile mic :)

Marial likes this.
  8. read some of the threads on Gearslutz.com - this is an overwhelming area. If this is your first nice mic, I would not try to spend all $500 at once. A good mic needs a good preamp, interface, room and the knowledge of how to use the gear to get a good sound.

I'd buy used and look for a mic in the $200-250 range to start. I'd recommend something like a CAD M179 that will let you experiment with polar patterns so you can see what you like and what works well in the room. ISK Pro Audio also has some nice budget microphones. Audio-Technica's 20 & 30 series are also nice for the price.

You'll get much more out of experimenting with your mic placement and recording techniques than just buying a nice mic and hoping for the best.

Marial likes this.
  9. To answer the OP’s question. I’d skip the Aston for now. I’ve used it a few times (but not for bass) and I think you can do much better for the money, especially if you buy used.

Marial likes this.
  10. Look into the Beyerdynamic M88TG. It's amazing on upright. I've also had luck with the Lauten Audio FC-357, but you'd need to find a used one to get close to your budget. Less than that? MXL V67 or V67i. I Haven't tried the Aston microphones yet.

Beyerdynamic M88 all day.

Marial likes this.
  11. notabene

notabene

Sep 20, 2010
    SF Bay area
    I have a pretty good selection of mics I've acquired through the years. I would not necessarily choose it for solo bass recording, but a Shure SM57 is an amazingly useful mic. Warm, and you can use it as a hammer. Under a hundred dollars, I think. Mine are over twenty years old, so I haven't checked current prices. If you only have a single mic, this would be the one I'd choose.