Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mic for recording bass amp loud?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Sep 13, 2002.

1. I've been running a studio for a cupla years now and have had good results using a Nuemann U89 for recording the bass from the cabinet and an ART tube DI for a direct line. The problem is that we have to keep the amp volume way down and pad the mic both on it's own pad switch and on the console. I want a mic with the same tonal qualities that can handle a lot more sound pressure cuz you need to crank up a tube amp like our Ampeg V4B or SVT to get it sounding rilly nice. I've tried various Shure 57's, Beta 57's, AKG 535, 414, 441, some other Nuemanns, Seinhausers etc. but haven't been too impressed by the results so far. Any ideas?
    Cheerz,
    Wounded Paw

2. Try the AKG D112. Great for kick drums and bass cabs.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I, too, have had great results from a D112.

4. Good point, I had forgotten about that one. I've rented a few for some big live shows but never used it in the studio. What do they go for new? (in Canada if you can)