Mic-ing an EA cabinet -- Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I am going to be doing some recording this weekend and I am wondering if anyone can give some advice on mic-ing an EA 210CXL cabinet. What placement have you found to work the best? Geographically, where should I place the mic for the best sound? I will be running some direct and compressed signals as well.
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would think that you'd want to mic the top 10" (being the coax), but keep the mic closer to the outside edge of the cone (you don't want the tweeter firing right into the mic). I would think close-mic'd, at the edge of the cone of the top woofer would be a good starting position.

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    If you are recording your part on your own and don't have to worry about other instruments bleeding into your mic then having one out in the room might be interesting to try as well. I recorded recently using an iAMP800 and Wizzy. We recorded direct as well as placing a mic as Tom suggested. We also had a mic about 5 feet into the room. We really have to do a lot more playing with the room and the mics to see what we really like but its interesting to play with the different tracks. The guy recording has all kinds of things he likes to try so I can't recall what we settled on for that particular recording in terms of type of mics.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    experiment!! there's no set way.

the ol' 45 degrees from the cone may work well every now and then, but people's ears are all different. have someone move the mic around as you listen in the control room, or w/ a good pair of headphones.
  5. Thanks for the advice guys. I am just trying to save some time on set-up. I will be recording by myself, and the cabinet will be in a room all by itself.
  6. Isolated in a separate room is a huge plus.

Consider using a small diameter condenser (SDC) omni mic for the most accurate bass capture. The omni does not have the bass proximity effect present in cardioid types. The SDC are more accurate than LDC types.

You will need to have the mic back far enough so one driver is not hotter than another. Again, the omni pattern is more helpful here.

Record the mic'ed cab and the DI to separate tracks. This lets you blend to taste during mixing. Apply EQ, compression, etc during mixing, not in the recording phase. This keeps your mixing options open.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

if that's the case, just run a DI. ;)

now if i could do that w/ my guitar amps, my blood pressure would be much lower... :meh: