Mic into effects pedals? problems?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Nov 21, 2002.

1. ok... WHY WONT THIS WORK. Every mic cord I have (about 6, all different brands) do not work on effects pedals. These are either 1/4" cords or cords with 1/4" adapters and they fit perfectly... just like a normal instrument cable, but no sound comes through. NOTHING. We really want to run the sax and vocals through some stomp boxes but it just wont work. The only cord that has seemed to work was one from a really crappy radio shack mic that could not be removed from the mic... thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. Impedance issues. The mics want to see a low-impedance input, the stompbox inputs want to see a high-impedance signal.
  3. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    buy a converter..they are like $12 at R**io sh**k. I have done this beofre with vocals and trumpet. IT works ok, but it narrows out the tone a lot. Well have fun.
  4. so there is no other way of getting around this other than losing a lot of the tone which is not an option... i build an effect loop true bypass pedal for my bass (bass in, bass out, effects in, effects out)... could something be built in the same manor but with a low-impedance output... i really dont know much about this stuff...
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Simply use a line driver/line buffer. It gives you a line level, low impedance signal.

A distortion pedal with distortion set to 0 and with level set to full might also work.

Or use a line mixer.
  6. i have a boss geb-7 pedal lying around somewhere... would that work? (eq pedal)...
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd give it a try
  8. I'm going to move this over to Effects since people over there might be able to help you out with your problems better.