Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mic Mounted On Endpin

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Barefoot Larry, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Someone on a mailing list I subscribe to has a problem in that he likes to play through a mic, and he sings some times.

When he moves around to get close to a vocal mic, it's a big production, since the bass mic on a boom has to be moved too. I think he uses one of those little square-ish studio mics, like AKG makes.

Anyway, he pitched out an idea that he'd like to build a rig which would attach to his endpin, to hold the mic.

That way, he could turn, lean, or move the bass, it's position relative to the mic wouldn't change, and it would keep the mic 8-12 inches out from the bass's top, where he likes it.

He envisioned something attaching to the endpin, running horizontally out past the face of the bass, then turning up towards the ceiling, with a gooseneck mounted on top of it.

He was considering trying to do something with one of those little booms that only extends to about 20", with a gooseneck screwed onto it.

I think that the major engineering challenge on something like that would be finding a good way to get it onto the endpin securely in the first place.

It's some food for thought. Would probably be a neat thing, if it could actually be done...

2. A couple guys around here use a mic mount made for a drum rim that they have attached somehow between an f-hole and bout edge. They've been using them for a few years and seem happy with it.

3. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I have a extesion for any mic stand,I got it at "Guitar Center" and I would assume that other music stores also carry it. I think that you could easily attach something like that to the endpin, they also heve diffent models that already come with a gooseneck.

4. BrandonEssex

BrandonEssex

Feb 21, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    I found an Audix condenser mic that works great on the bass. It is designed for percussion or horns, and has a 6" gooseneck built in. It just happens to weave perfectly under the G and over the D strings behind my bridge, and clamp onto the A. It is possible to mic between the bridge feet, but I found that it sounded better to mic the G foot of the bridge. It's not ideal, but for 80 bucks I'm very pleased. Note: I only use this to record, as the feedback issue is overwhelming with this particular mic, which is very sensitive. I've found that I like this sound better than a large diaphragm studio mic for two reasons, it's a breeze to use, and it sounds woodier than with the bass miked from a distance. I have used it live before, but the only way to reduce feedback was to mic the f hole, which sends almost no high frequencies to the amp, and sounds accordingly muddy.

All in all, it's probably about the same as a Golden Trinity, and costs about the same too.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  6. Yeah, I saw that and passed it on, but I don't know whether he was one of the bidders on it or not.

I notice that the reserve wasn't met, and it hasn't been re-listed, either.

I wonder what the reserve was?

It looks like a pretty good rig, though I can't tell from the pictures exactly how it attaches.

Looks like it might have a collar & set-screw around the endpin.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That's a Latin Percussion "Claw" with a gooseneck from a mic stand. I'm not sure how much they cost, but I'd bet it's pretty easy to make.....

8. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    recently i saw an Ampeg on e-bay - the real deal 'amplified peg' mic for a bass that sits inside on the endpin.

does anyone know the sound characteristics of these? i'm just wonderin'

thanks,
    erik

9. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    HA! that was FAST ed.

and i guess that's the answer i expected.

thanks,
    -erik

10. I had one back in the late 1950's. It was great for the time, but as soon as the first transducers came out, they blew it away. Very hollow and boooooomy by today's standards.

11. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I believe the person Larry is talking about is me. I did see that item on eBay. Since then I've moved from the stand-mounted mic to the AMT mic which moves with my bass, so my problem is solved.

Adrian