Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mic preamp or bass preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Feb 21, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Is a mic preamp a dedicated microphone preamp, or can you plug any instrument in?

I'm just wondering whether dedicated bass preamps are just marketing speak

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    most mic preamps will let you plug an instument in. it's very common practice in the studio to use a mic pre for bass guitar. Like bass preamps, mic pres run from those designed to be reallly transparent, to those that put their own sonic "stamp" or "color" on the tome. Lots of cats use mic preamps in their live rigs as well. like bass preamps, mic preas run from cheap to expensive. however, the most expensive mic preamps make the most expensive bass preamps look like bargain basement deals. I don't think bass preamps are marketing hype. lots of them have eq that's voiced well for bass, or an overall voicing that sounds better for bass (subjectively).

3. One other consideration is that Bass Preamps are designed to drive power amps for live bass rig use. Their output voltage needs to be sufficient enough for this purpose.

Most, if not all, mic preamps are only designed to go into a mixing board.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Good advice guys

Thanks a bundle :cool: