Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mic question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ASR, May 15, 2001.

1. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'm sure I have put this thread in the wrong place, but...

I went to a store yesterday to look at microphones, and the salesman told me that Dynamic used to make the Shure SM58 vocal mics, but they now make their own. He said that the Dynamic is now made with the same materials and specs as the SM58, and sounds exactly the same, but the price was about 80 bucks less. Does anyone know if the Dynamic is as good as the Shure? I don't need an outrageously expensive one, I just do backups in about half our songs.

2. if it was exactly the same, there would be legal problems. i don't think this guy is being entirely honest, ESPECIALLY if they cost $80 less.

even if it does sound similar, SM58s are known for their durability.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The SM58 is not "outrageously expensive". I've seen them for around $100. I find it hard to believe that a $20 mic could compare favorably. Get the SM58, it's the industry standard, and should last for years. I only paid $79 (each) for two SM57's.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm not shure about that (pardon the pun). I think it's a Fender/Sadowsky/Mike Lull/Lakland situation, except it's even more subjective, since mics, unlike basses, tend all to be the same shape whatever specs they might have.

Will C.:cool:

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Get the SM 58. If not, check out Carvin's copy of it. I think they go for like 89 bucks, and we have had just as good of luck with the Carvins as we have with the Shures. I am using a Carvin right now and am totally happy with it. I sing backup and some lead vocals.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either the Shure or the Carvin. We have tried a couple cheaper mics, and they don't stand up. Either get a TON of feedback from them or they quit working after about a week.

Ryan

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Never pay more than $90 for a new SM-58. And buy the SM-58. There's a reason why you see it on every stage in the world.