1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mic rec for overdriven/distorted tones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by taylor16, Jan 21, 2017.

1. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    I'm wondering if there is another strong option to consider other than my currently used Heil PR40. It sounds great when optimally placed ahead of my cab but it can be super "woofy" and I have to place mine at least 8-10" away from my grill to get a balanced tone I like. Considering I run a clean tone through my Noble DI, any recs for a simple-to-use mic that I don't have to be so specific on placement? I've thought about the SM57 but want something that I could rely on without DI support if I had to.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Popular favorites for bass include the EV RE20, Heil PR40, Telefunken M82, Sennheiser MD421, AKG P2, and Beyer M88. Unfortunately, mics can be expensive. The Telefunken M82 is a fairly new mic that I'm hearing good things about.

The AKG P2 is comparable in price to the SM57. It has the advantage of being slatter, not having the SM57's characteristic dip in the low end.

In addition to the distance from the speaker, mic placement, at the center of the cone vs towards the edge (on axis vs off axis), also changes the tone. Worth experimenting with that. Some details here in the TalkBass Portaflex Wiki: Miking a Cabinet.

3. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

Feb 3, 2014
    Google proximity effect.
    Short form is that most mics tend to get a bass boost when placed close to the origin of the noise.
    EV RE 20 is designed to minimize the effect. Some other mics benefit from it. It is one reason that many mics get woofy when close micing.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Re-20 is a wonderful mic. The PR-40 is a great mic. So is the Senn 421 with 5 position roll off ... the 421 is a Swiss Army knife. Vocals, Sax, Cello sound hole close up, some kick drums (Jazz or 'deco' small kicks), floor toms in a metal/AC/DC
    'ish setting, micing Jo'mama... OK I'm kidding about micing Jo'mama.

Sound companies that care, carry multiples of them... we might not bust them out every gig but... they come out to play a lot... when my personal 2x15 or 2x1x10 rigs are mic'ed it is one of my 421's in front of the grill...