Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mic Stand question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KB, Dec 11, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am looking to get a couple of new mic stands for when we play at venues that don't have them and for practice. I want to get a couple of boom stands (I currently have 1 old boom that is broken and 3 straight stands). The question I have is in terms of the mic stand base. I am trying to find out which style people prefer (easier transport/more stable, etc.) The 2 styles that I see are:
    1. The tripod (3 leg fold up) style base
    2. the big round solid metal base

Please tell me your favorite and why!!!

MF and other places have both styles for the same price. I need the boom so it can extend over me pedal board.
    We played a show recently where I used the tripod style base, but every time I would bump it, it would fall over (very annoying in a live show), but I don't know if the big heavy solid round style bottom would be any better.

Let me know what you think

-KB

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I use a tripod one given to me. I also mike the ride cymbal with it in the studio. RE the toppling you have it extended too far. If your pedals get in the way instead of (hope it works)

Stand
    Pedals

Go for

.........Stand
    Pedals

Postion two of the 'feet' around the board so you can get the base nearer your mouth and not have to have the boom fully extended. With me? Yes the boom will be at an angle but you can fiddle with the end to postion the mike right.

I know what the h&ll I'm talking about and it works for me-seriously hope it helps.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My mic stand has three legs (tripod). I wish it didn't. I wish I had a round base. Clears up stage room and doesn't get in your way as much.

4. Tripod bases tend to be a bit more stable, and can be used with booms, whereas round bases are OK for mics without booms, but tend to topple if used with booms, especially if it's a large (heavy) mic.

For live gigs I usually have a mix of short and long tripod stands with booms. The short ones can be used for instruments, or vocals if the performer is seated - they can also be used for micing amplifiers. I also throw in a couple of long tripod stands, again with booms - they tend to be useful for performers who sing as well as play an instrument - the boom will get the stand out of the way of the instrument, while allowing the vocal mic to be close enough to the singer. I usually have a couple of round base mic stands for vocalists who don't play instruments, but like to take the mic off the stand and hand-hold - it's more of a hassle to take a mic & cable off a boom mic stand.

For recording I have a couple of large booms from Atlas - they have wheels on the bases, and so can be easily moved - they're very flexible, and heavy enough to hold a pair of GT MD 6TMs set up for M/S at about 8 feet without falling over.

I also have a couple of the Beyer ST532 stands which extend from 3' to about 15' and are strong enough to carry a pair of large-diaphragm mics.

Hope this helps -

- Wil

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am mainly looking for live situations for my vocals. My only concern with the tripod is that they do take up a lot of space and they would have to sit further away from me if they span over my effects board. But they may be more stable than the round base. hmmmmmm tough decision.
    any other input or pluses/minuses of either model?

-KB

6. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Although I'm not a singer, or anything remotely close there to, I like the tripod base. I think they're sturdier, and I can angle my MIDI control pedal off of one side, my PK-5 off the other, and put one of the legs down the middle if desired.

I don't know how well this would work, but you could try getting a boom stand and setting it up to your side. Put your pedal board directly in front of you, then angle the boom over from the left or right side. The mike angle would probably be a bit odd, it probably would take up more stage room, and might topple over with the slightest touch. Maybe you shouldn't try this after all.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I prefer the tripod stands for stability reasons, but I use a round based stand for space reasons. FWIW Ive never had mine fall over.