1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mic Todd

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Deepdive, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Deepdive

Deepdive

Mar 12, 2008
    I really like mic todd's tone, the bassist from coheed and cambria, and i was wondering if anyone could help me emulate that tone using a svt3-pro.

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I have no idea, never used an SVT.

However, that Mic's a beast and really cool. I got to meet him and Claudio and Travis for a couple minutes and get their autograph.

3. Deepdive

Deepdive

Mar 12, 2008
    awesome, i know a few people from a previous band that got to meet him, and he recognized them at another show

4. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    :eek:

Hellza jealous.

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    On In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, Todd played his Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and Spector Rebop 5 through an Ampeg SVT-4PRO and 8x10 Classic enclosure. To get an overdriven sound, he also played through a vintage guitar amp. “I didn’t play through any effects during tracking—all that came into play during mixing.” he reports. On the road, he runs his Fender and Spector basses through a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and then on to the Ampeg rig.

from this:
    http://www.bassplayer.com/article/michael-todd-secret/jul-04/760

6. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    he is the reason i started playing bass!!! im a warwick guy, but the tone of his spector on their first(and imho their best) album, second stage turbine blade, is one of my most favorite tones ever. i always wanted to play guitar when i was little(and i do play now, lol) but i started on bass because to me, he made bass sound just as important to me as the guitar playing. i never payed much attention to bass until i started listening to shabutie and coheed. his parts stood out on their own, but also supported the song. he is to this day one of my biggest influences.

7. Deepdive

Deepdive

Mar 12, 2008
    thx guys, i have found that article before, but i was wondering more about specific bandwidths to boost and/or cut or if everything is flat and he uses the bass driver to shape his tone.

and yeh, i think steve harris was my first big influence, then mic todd, those are two of my favorite bassists from two of my favorite bands

8. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm pretty sure he didn't start using Spector's until early 2003. He was playing what appeared to be a Conklin back then.

9. codyh

codyh

Mar 11, 2006
    I too am a huge fan of Mic and C&C. I have been trying to get near to his tone too. From what you guys can tell, what signals is he boosting/cutting (or even leaving flat)?

It is obvious to the ear that he uses a fair amount of drive, but as far as signals go, what do you guys think?

10. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    From what I've heard, he's scooping mids. I can approach his sound using a Lakland Joe Osborn through my Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 with the mid scoop kicked in (660Hz) and leaving the mid parametric set virtually flat around 1000Hz, using roundwound strings and backing off the bridge pickup a bit. I use nickel rounds but i think if I was using stainless, it would sound even more like his tone. BTW, I leave bass and treble set flat but boost the bass with the bass boost switch, which is between 37-68Hz. If I crank the preamp gain control and leave the preamp volume down, I can overdrive the tube preamp for some crunch. You should be able to approach this sound with even a small amp that has parametric EQ and some kind of master volume or OD setup, or with a SansAmp. All the SVT does is make it louder.

11. until recently it was spector PJ through ampeg classic with a pretty wicked scoop in it. a shame.. because someone who plays so well should not have such terrible tone.

until he switched to fender basses, now its a lot better. i can actually hear him in the mix on the neverender DVD's. less scoop, passive, classic tone like he always needed.

12. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    no way man. mics tone early on was...simply mics tone. very unique. i never ever had a problem picking him out in the early stuff. his tone is always beast. at the neverender shows i will say it was very hard to hear him. night 4 i was literally right in front of him. they dont show it but they ended with neverended in their encore and i got to shake his had from the stage for the second time that night. also met him in buffalo this past fall at their show at the town ballroom and he was having and unreal time with his fender setup. the tech had no idea what the problem was. he switched basses twice in one song and chords going all over the place trying to figure it out. should never have went to fender tube amps. but when i could hear the tone it was good. but if you watch theyre cover of "red rain" from some of the festivals they did, you'll see what a spector really does for him. i think he should go back to them. the tone is unreal

13. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Coheed and Cambria is my favorite band, of all time. lol. Mic has some crazy ass finger style all his own, even with the same exact rig as his, his tone would be hard to emulate.