Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

miced vs di

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    which is better miking an amp or going direct

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Done numerous times before, but here's the short version:

DI: truer, more linear, "pure bass or bass/preamp sound" - easier and faster setup and recording

Mic: more "live-sounding", less linear - more complicated to setup and mix

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I prefer ratted over miced.

4. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer

Jul 14, 2002
    Aurora, CO
    Because speakers add color to one's tone, if you like your live tone, mic your rig. I find it to give me a punchier tone with a bit of the speaker growl. Obviously, going direct is easier.

5. I like DI'd personally, it all depends on what kind of music you're playing though. It can also sound good to record both and then blend the signals together.

6. hey, i could use a little advice on this. currently i'm using an eden wt-600 with a goliath III cab, i'm quite happy with my onstage sound.

i've been using the xlr out on the back of the head to feed the pa. i've never been happy with my bass sound thru the pa. not to mention, it is not a "true di" because anything that is adjusted on the head affects the tone going to the xlr. my band members think the bass thru the pa sounds fine, i think it sounds like shiiite.

i've been considering a di box (countryman or the like) or just trying the old "mic the cab" technique. i have a spare sm57, and plan on trying it tomorrow nite.

the di would be cool because i could do whatever i want with the stage rig and have consistent tone to the board...

your opinions???

:confused: