Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael (and me!) on SWR!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Tosya, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    OK, I couldn't help myself, it's just so exciting that I would happen to be on the same web page as Michael Manring!! Even if it's for two entirely different reasons.... :D When will this ever happen again?!?! SWRsound.com

(Oh, yeah, I should point out that I'm Amy from Clatter for anyone who doesn't know!! ;) )

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How could we forget you, Amy - you've got such memorable hair! :D

I see Michael also makes the top of the local heroes page in a nice greyscale masthead pic (just to prove that I really went and had a look ;) ).

Congratulations on getting onto the SWR page.

Wulf

3. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Ha, ha!!

The hair is a bit of a giveaway, isn't it?! What's new with you, wulf?

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Well... I've got a gig this Friday, which should be fun. However, what I'm looking forward to is a couple of nights we've just lined up at the end of May at 'Jazz After Dark' in London - a couple of late night sessions with a much more jazzy vibe.

Therefore, I was working along with my Mingus play along this lunchtime, walking through 'Goodbye Pork Pie Hat'. Steve - it looks like I might be back to the jazzy stuff for my next lesson ;)

Wulf

5. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Wow -- that sounds really cool! Good luck at both events! :)

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Tosya,

great news on the coverage on the SWR site - that's excellent - hope you get lots of hits out of it...

Wulf

jazz is good - funk is good - soul is good... just bring it all to the lesson, and we'll get you moving in the right direction... :D

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Thanks Steve! Every little bit helps, eh? Now, if I could just get an endorsement....:D I think it's really neat that SWR does that for us little guys. Makes us feel like we have a chance at becoming something some day! :)

8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...I think what you've got there is an endorsement! They are endorsing what you do by feeling it's good enough to be featured on the website... Getting free stuff worth having is actually pretty rare - if you want to use crappy gear, companies will throw it at you. But it's got to be paid for somehow, so if you're not paying for it, someone else is...

A lot of those kinds of deals are worked out in exchange for some sort of promotion. I've done clinics in exchange for gear before now, but that doesn't really work out free, as I've still got to pay the mortgage somehow, and telling the bank I got a new amp isn't going to get me off from paying it... ;)

Cheers!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Very well put! I never really thought of it from that perspective before.... Well, gee, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Oh, wait, I think that might be my cappuccino.... ;)

Thanks for spelling it out so clearly, Steve! It sure helps to have someone with experience guide those of us who still flounder! :D

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Watch the hits on your website - if it goes up, then SWR's endorsement may be having a measurable effect. In fact, depending on whether you can access the webserver logs and what format they're in, you may even be able to see how many people have come across from reading the stuff on the SWR site.

Wulf

11. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Yes, we can view our web stats monthly, so I'm excited for May 1 so I can see what happened!! My favorite part of the stats is being able to see how many countries are represented. I think it's thrilling that people from all over the world can visit our web site!

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So, let us know when you're coming to London on tour :)

Wulf

13. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Absolutely!!!! I can't wait to tour overseas!!! :)

14. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey, cool! I'm on the same web page with Amy from Clatter!

15. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
  16. alright man i don't want to seem like an ass but where on the site are you?

17. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Ha ha! It used to be on the front page -- now it's here. Unfortunately, it's now just me and not Michael. :(