Michael Anthony: Bass and drum tracks to "Beautiful Girls" (1979)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Aug 16, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Love it.

petrus61, Billyzoom, Seanto and 11 others like this.
  2. devinp17

devinp17

Jun 26, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Awesome. Great bass playing, I like the tone too!

A.K. likes this.
  3. It's sad, because Michael Anthony had moments of greatness on some of these earlier tunes- but somehow, he kind of lost it at 1984 and onwards... I wonder if he was forced to reign in his playing by the VH Dictator Brothers? He defenitely had more flash once upon a time.

CTC564 and A.K. like this.
  4. He's always used flats, correct? Huge tone and VERY nicely played.

A.K. likes this.
  5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Those are some serious sounding flatwounds.

A.K. likes this.
  6. Anthony and Steve Harris both have the most un-flat sounding flats I've heard. I know Harris changes his almost daily when recording and touring.

A.K. likes this.
  7. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Did MA play on this track, or was it Eddie? I've heard that MA never played on any Van Halen records and that Ed did all the bass parts. I find this a little hard to believe, but that's the story I was told.

A.K. likes this.
  8. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Mike definitely had his moments during the Hagar years, too. Both he and Sammy have said, however, that Eddie always told Mike to play eighth notes.

9. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    It's widely known that Eddie played bass on a lot of VH tracks. It could be him on this track.

10. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have no idea about the strings he plays. Interesting that he's known for using flats.

11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    this song has a very unique feel in the world of a million shuffles.
    it is a hard tune to capture the groove and believe it or not, it is Ed who carries it-he is very underrated as rhythym guitarist.
    I love the bass in the song though; great tone in the mix.
    Al-is the man.

A.K. likes this.
  12. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    this is really great bass playing with flats and a P and a pick-
    I doubt that Ed is playing on this track; clearly, this is a guy who thinks 'bass'

13. Think it's a pick? Some of those slurried slides say fingers to me. I'm probably wrong.

14. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    hmm- not sure but I love those double stops he uses.

15. Ralph Notoro

Ralph Notoro Inactive

Jul 14, 2014
    The best part is the double stops lick (really partial chords) in the beginning. That sounds like something a guitarist would play so it could very well have been a part Eddie composed, if not actually played. It also sounds like a pick to me.

16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    hmm- I disagree-
    usually double stop licks like these are a bassists secret weapon especially in blues based music.
    I use them all the time in my playing in one fashion or another and would be surprised if many guitarists use them.
    I could be wrong.

miner likes this.
  17. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Always loved the song and hardly could make out the bass.... Great bassline again hidden in the mix...Agree Did not sound a bit like a guitar player

18. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    yes-
    quite a bit going on bass wise under the wall of Ed-
    he is a great bass player regardless of what people say.

miner likes this.
  19. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Definitely a pick

20. miner

miner

Oct 26, 2008
    Chicago
    Eddie did play bass on a some songs, but he plays bass really differently than Mike. There's no way to really be sure, but it's always sounded like Mike to me on this track.

Like I'm pretty sure this one (below) is Ed. It doesn't really sound like Mike. Mike usually has this groovy feel locking in really tight and playing some really cool basslines. Ed seems to play bass like he plays guitar. Really good, but loose and all over the place.

Van Halen - Women and Children First - Romeo Deli…:

This one I know is Ed. It's mostly him sliding around the fingerboard and following guitar licks

VAN HALEN - Without you - 1998:

Mikey is one of my favorite bass players. Here's a couple of my favorites of him!

Van Halen - "So This Is Love?" - 1981 Oakland, CA…:

Here's one of him doing some cool fretless stuff (Sammy Hagar era too!)
    van halen-not enough (studio quality):

I think he switched from flats to rounds sometime around 1984. He has always had one of my favorite flatwound tones.

Yeah, his playing got a lot simpler as time went on, but their music was changing. Playing the cool stuff he used to play wouldn't have fit in with what he was doing. They went from being a party band to being a lot more serious/refined. I can't say if one way is better than the other, but everyone has their own opinion and people should just like what they like.

But yeah, MA is one of my most favorites. Him and Ellefson lol.

Yeah he uses both a pick and fingers depending on what fits the song better, but most of his early stuff is with a pick

lesliegl and A.K. like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021