1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Anthony: "Black and Blue" (live in Japan, 1989)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Dec 23, 2016.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    The lyrics are a bit much, but this is one my favorite Van Hagar grooves, and the band is on fire here.

Gluvhand and Johnny Crab like this.
  2. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I know he catches a lot of crap here on TB, but I've always thought Mike Anthony doesn't get the credit he deserves for being a rock solid bass player. He's musically educated (probably as much or more than even Eddie) , reads (Ed doesn't by his own admission), and by all accounts is a super humble nice guy. And there is no equal when it comes to background vocals. I was interested to see him playing a Spector in this video. I guess eventually everybody does. This isn't one of my favorite VH songs, but while I preferred the original line up, there is no doubt that the band was better musically with Hagar. Unfortunately they've devolved into a sad joke since then. I blame Eddie.

A.K. likes this.
  3. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    If Michael Anthony didn't have such a relentlessly sunny persona, despite the humiliations he received from the horrific Van Halen brothers, his reputation would much closer to what his talents deserve. The man is an exceptional musician, and ANY rock band would have been lucky to have him as its bass player.

If he had smiled less and not done the embarrassing solos, he would be considered one of the superb rock bassists of his generation. Which he is!

birminghambass and Mike Sorr like this.
  4. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Yeah, those solos were damaging to his rep. Too bad, there's nothing wrong with a little showmanship and giving the crowd a reason to hit the bathroom...or the Van Halen brothers an excuse to take a blow break. I agree, he's an excellent player and knows more about what he's doing musically than many well known hard rock players. I had heard a rumor that Ed never respected him as a musician and would frequently re-record the bass parts on Van Halen records. Even to the point that most of the bass on VH records was actually Ed playing, not Mike. Eddie even said something about having to play Mike's parts for him or something to that effect. I think that's more of an Eddie being an a-hole thing than it is a commentary on Mike's abilities.

A.K. likes this.
  5. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Eddie basically has nothing good to say about anybody who's been in the band except for those with the last name "Van Halen."

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    kev451 likes this.