1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Anthony interview from 1981

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Jun 25, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
  2. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    Michael Anthony is an Awesome Bass player....thanks for posting this!!

A.K. likes this.
  3. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna

Absolute respect for Michael Anthony. His work on "Light Up the Sky" and "Naturally Wired" is amazing, not to mention most of his live improvisation besides his solos. His "cows" as I call them were highly influential to me (such as on "Get Up") where he does these massive "moo"-like slides; I loved those since I was a kid. He does a bunch of "cows" during the drunken version of "Runnin' with the Devil" at the US Festival. Absolutely love it. He's also one of the coolest most down-to-earth guys out there; him and Tom Araya of Slayer. Both absolute class acts.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    It's funny you should mention "AFU (Naturally Wired)." I've been working on the bass part for that. Almost have the entire thing done, as well as "Sucker in a 3 Piece."

5. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Yeah, the bass during the solo in Naturally Wired is great! Mike is totally underrated. His live playing especially under Ed's solos was fantastic...

6. wow that rick-enstein is fantastic looking

7. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Yeah, the 80's stripes and the dual reverse P EMGs even work with the weird surrounds...strange how it all works together but it really does.

You would think that since the body was obviously filled for the control area and bridge pickup that they wouldn't need those plastic surrounds around the pickups and bridge...if the body was filled (it was) then why the oversized surrounds if there are no holes to hide? Weird...

8. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Iron Mike Anthony is truly one of rock's top bass pkayers. He's like the rock of Gibraltar.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Van Halen is one of those bands that I have always had a Love/Hate relationship with. I like their music but can't stand Eddie and Dave's attitudes. I have always felt that Michael Anthony was very overrated and never really liked his tone. He does have a great voice and I always wondered why they felt the need to have David Lee Roth in the band. Why not just have Michael Anthony sing lead?

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  10. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Micheal Anthony, if anything, is UNDERrated. Check out his tone on the "So This Is Love" video above; great playing, PERFECT tone for that music. And, the reason he doesn't sing lead is that he doesn't sound good doing it...check out YouTube vids of him singing "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" during the 2004 Van Hagar tour and you will quickly see why he's an amazing backup singer and not a lead vocalist.

11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    because dave sold it.
    mike hasn't got a distinct lead vocal IMO.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have heard "So This Is Love" many times and used to play it. His tone on that track is OK but overall, I don't like his tone and I find his bass playing to be very simplistic. Maybe Eddie prevented him from doing more but based on what I've heard I think he was good for Van Halen but I wouldn't consider him among the best rock bass players.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Never been a fan. A good performer connected with a one-huge group, but he isn't the guy I have ever looked to for inspiration as a bassist.

14. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I really like MA and have been a fan for as long as I can remember. Excellent tone. Excellent playing. Sings amazing back up vocals. Awesome.

I can understand he is not everybody's cup of tea. No problem, different strokes and all that. What I don't understand, and one of the few things I don't enjoy about TB, is why some members feel the need to post negative things in a thread like this, that is obviously for fans of MA. It seems a little small minded and petty to me, considering that MA is living the dream. Maybe if your as famous and talented as him, then you can talk.

Just my opinion of course.

aluminumcatfish likes this.
  15. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Mike is the man. I've heard that ******** about him not playing on Fair Warning. Not true. The thing I think people have mixed up with that is the fact that Eddie went back in at night and retracked his guitar parts more to his liking. He was not liking what Ted Templeman was getting during the day. It's Van Halen's best LP IMO and the bass is fat and way up in the mix compared to the previous 3 records. Great bassist and a super cool guy!

By the way my buddy Mark and I were at one of the Oakland Coliseum shows where the clip for So This Is Love was filmed. We were 15 years old and freaking out about how great it was. =)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  16. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Mike is a very solid bassist and I've always liked his tone. He really kicks ass on the "Live: Right Here, Right Now" DVD from early '92 in Fresno. He's playing Stingrays in that show. It's much better than "Live Without a Net," in my opinion.

tbz likes this.
  17. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Just out of curiosity--does anyone know whether Eddie uses fingers or a pick when he plays bass? In his autobiography, Sammy confirmed that Ed played bass on at least 2 or 3 songs for every album he did during the Van Hagar era.

18. Well, his kid uses picks every time I've seen him play and he learned from dear old dad. Plus I think Eddie played most, if not all, of the bass tracks on the latest VH album and they all sound played with a pick. So my vote is pick. For instance, if you listen to "Right Now" and "Poundcake" off of F.U.C.K., my guess is Eddie played the former and MA was banging out those sixteenths fingerstyle on the latter. Could be wrong, so don't take my speculation as gospel.

A.K. likes this.
  19. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I was thinking a pick, too.

Interestingly enough, there's an old thread here on TB in which a guy said he was at 5150 studios one night as EVH recorded the bass part on "Poundcake."

20. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    Michael Anthony is AWESOME! with Van Halen and Chickenfoot!