1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Anthony: Isolated bass track to "I'm the One" (1978)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    A great performance. Tell me the guy can't play.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Michael Anthony is one of my top favorite rock bassists, but I wonder who approved that tone.

3. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I don't know man, just sounds like regular bass playing to me. At least it's not pumping out roots on the 8th like he usually does.

moshspeggeti, FB5 and A.K. like this.
  4. For every root 8th note pumping song there is one like this. "Regular" or not.

DrayMiles, seang15 and A.K. like this.
  5. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I dunno, if you listen to a bunch of these old songs that's pretty standard rock bass tone for the era: Grindy, thick, P bass tone.

prue, G RICH 5, Aqualung60 and 2 others like this.
  6. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Well, I wasn't saying it's "The Fish," but he's 23 here and the man clearly knows how to lay it down.

G RICH 5, joebar, tepperware and 3 others like this.
  7. It goes back to the same thing every time. What would have been "better" played in it's place? He nails this song.

tfer, Matt R., obimark and 5 others like this.
  8. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    What this song needed was some Jaco and Stu Hamm licks. Then this would have been "good" bass playing.

9. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Haha, those guys are fa#@!

10. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Mike is a legend and that song and line is killer. Bring forth the armchair bassist so they can enlighten us all as to how those who have done nothing would see it done. Clowns.

11. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Sarcasm duly noted!

12. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    To be clear, I never said it was bad, or that MA is an inferior bass player. Actually, I think quite the opposite, he is super solid and a perfect fit for VH's music.

But isn't being solid, (keeping perfect time) what a bass player is supposed to do? I don't give any extra credit for being solid, that's part of the job. Lots of guys, night in and night out do this.

AFA "laying it down" his line is good in this song. Is it phenomenal? I don't think so. But it's good. But it's not like I came into this thread and was blown away like I would be with a sick line from a highly proficient player from another genre that isn't as straight forward as rock, like VH.

If you are referring to me, I'm no arm chair bassist, actually I gig regular in 2 different bands.

13. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit

14. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Not u bro, that's to the Einstein's who don't even touch a stage.

A.K. and FingerDub like this.
  15. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    No way bro, not anyone in particular. If your out there, playing and doing it, that ain't you. I always thought that song was great period. High energy and it moves. Forget perfect this is rock n roll. Perfect is why so much music today sucks.

16. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Had this been "Jet" by McCartney (one of the simplest bass lines in rock), the thread would have been filled with adoring fans praising his "taste" and "use of space."

17. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    U got it man,hit the nail on the head! SOS here. Mike was the man period. All that other nonsense...Well we know.

G RICH 5 and A.K. like this.
  18. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    On a different kinda note, the newer song "she's the woman " has the same kinda thing going on, same high energy, raw and kick ass feel. Funny how so many get so stuck up they forget why they even picked up a bass! Too be some virtuoso...I think not. Remember your roots.

blastoff, A.K. and FingerDub like this.
  19. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Now I'm gonna have to go listen to that song...

But I get the point, people will always find a way to complain about something, perhaps even me.

A.K. likes this.
  20. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm not givin' you poopie. Although the Macca comment happens to be true!