1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Michael Anthony

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassWindu711, Aug 10, 2012.

1. As a HUGE Van Halen fan, I miss Mike being their and playing bass. The term "reunion" just doesnt seem right and its weird not hearing those backups vocals. Do you miss him more a bassist or backup singer? Hes always been a great vocalist but his playing really started to develop in Fair Warning, but he still had some great numbers before that. What do you think?

2. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    Yeah there were quite a few songs on the new VH album where I thought "you know what would sound good here? some MA backing vocals" I also do miss his style of bass playing but Wolfy is doing a good job holding his own. Can't replace the voice though

3. He's a great player his last name is Van Halen but he's missing the vocals. Like in tattoo, eddie is singing an octave below dave in the pre-chorus. If Mike was their, he'd be singing in unison with dave.

4. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I miss the vox most but he had some great bass work too - Dirty Movies comes to mind....

5. I think it's a shame they kicked him out of the band. To me it's really not Van Halen without Mike. I also think the new album suffers from the lack of his vocals. Wolfie is an okay bass player but there's still that missing piece of the puzzle.

6. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Long time Halen fan here....when I reflect upon vh history and take into account the stuff you read about in Sammy,s red rocker book, I can't help but feel mike is better moving on and leaving the brothers behind.

I mean, these guys did nothing for Years, mike stays busy with sammyp and the brothers are pissed off and jealous...like a high school band.

They can't finish tours...they were probably lucky to get that album out. Eddie, as much as I love him, can't get out of his own way.

And....on the other side of the coin, it is natural that a boy hanging around his uncle and father would step in...

7. For me "Push comes to shove" comes to mind. Overall that album is great for a bass player to listen to.

8. Yeah after reading Sammy's book it totally changed my view of the Van Halen brothers. They were selfish jerks and got pissed off by anyone who tried to steal their spotlight.

9. Radicus

Radicus

Jan 3, 2009
    Yeah, there is no going home again. I was a big fan in the day. I own one of his basses (NS2) so I'm biased. People are something else.

10. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
  11. WilsonCat

WilsonCat

Jan 23, 2006
    Medford, NY
    This....my fav VH song by far is Dirty Movies. If someone has the balls to say MA is a ****** bass player I always direct them to Fair Warning to listen, learn & shut the F up.

12. I grew up a guitar player. :bag: took up bass a decade ago and nothing is more amazing to me, now, then hearing songs I pretty much discounted everything but the guitar playing and discovering some awesome bass playing.

I know MA's lines were pretty simple, but they were still awesome and his tone was cool too (and awesome bg's).

Zepplin is another band I've rediscovered - actually listening to JPJ's lines was total :eek:!!

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    In Van Halen the bass was often buried in the mix. I remember covering some Van Halen tunes and having to pretty much make up my own bassline because the original bassline was buried beneath the guitar, drums, and vocals.

14. I can see it happening. The bass is so much more brighter and present in FW than the other albums where MA had a very dirty gritty tone. Eddie also recorded bass for a Sammy solo album and recorded bass for the new tones written for the greatest hits album. I read in an interview that he wanted MA for VHIII and that for the 04 reunion his pay was reduced (this is true). I really do see it.

15. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    A lot of what I have read about Michael Anthony over the years talked about what a nice guy he is. Same can't be said for the rest of VH. I think MA is better off where he is now playing in bands like Chicken Foot. Yes I miss his harmonies with VH but honestly I don't care for the new VH stuff anyway. So if I want to hear him I will just listen to my old VH albums.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Having seen the most recent tour, I was glad that Mike didn't get the nod. It was terrible and it would have been embarrassing for him.

17. WilsonCat

WilsonCat

Jan 23, 2006
    Medford, NY

Really? I never felt MA was "buried". Sure, he was not the focal point of their music but I think he was clearly heard. That was the beauty of most older VH records, most of the basic tracks were performed live as a 3 piece (correct me if I am wrong).

18. I definitely miss his bass style, I find that Wolfgang is too flashy at times (probably Dad's influence) and the band sound tends to lean more towards DLR's solo stuff with Billy...but not as good.....

19. I agree that the Van Halens gave Mike the shaft, but also am onE of those who agree that he is better off - and probably a lot happier - in Chickenfoot. There, he is in a band that appreciates his playing, with bandmates who are willing to give his bass playing a bit more breathing room, so to speak, rather than smoother his bass lines.

20. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp

Jul 15, 2012
    Laurel,DE.
    I recently read Sammy said they are using MA vocal tracks on tour.