Michael, any chance of a live in concert DVD?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by dace, Jan 30, 2004.

1. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia

It's a pity that there isn't a lot of video footage of you playing live. There's the Bass Day 98 DVD and only a few other bits and pieces mentioned by other forum members.

Have you got any plans for making a live DVD? I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested in it.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a Manring VHS, d'oh I forget which one it is, I bought it directly from Michael, I've watched it a gazillion times.

But I would much prefer to have a DVD.

Heck if a Big DVD of manring performance stuff was released I'd buy two! :)

It's such a shame that Michael has had many distribution 'issues' and what-not, I wish it were easier to get a hold of his work :(
  4. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I'll post another pre-sale! Maybe if there's enough replys MM will try to put something together huh Michael huh huh huh huh huh??? :D

5. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    heck, i'd buy either VHS or DVD....
  6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Wow! Thanks so much, guys. I better see what I can do about this! Actually there folks that released "The Artist's Profile" documentary about me have talked about putting the whole series on DVD. I'll see if I can find out if that ever happened.
  7. wazzu123

Mar 25, 2004
    . . . and hurry!
  8. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    as far as i can tell, if there is this "the artist's profile" DVD series out there somewhere, there's a slim chance any of us can get our hands on it atm. i can't find it on Amazon or Google.

for some reason it now seems like the easiest way to buy Michael's products is through Amazon. that's how i bought book of flame.

there are a couple of people on Amazon trying to sell their copies thonk for $40! (in a strange way i guess Michael can take that as a complement)
  9. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Yikes, $40... Does anybody know if BMG ever made Thonk available on one of the mainstream download sites?
  10. Michael and Steve - you last gigs over here would have really made a great DVD - with John Lester too. I haven't seen the Thonk DVD available.
  11. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Good news -- I spoke with the guy who is in charge of "The Artist Profile" shows and the DVD version of the one about me is in production now.
  12. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    do you know when the DVD version of the Artist Profile is ready for sale?

is the content of the DVD the same as the VHS video or will there be extras?

i had a look at Michael Hedge's website and has a setlist of the performances. very enticing. <a href="http://www.nomadland.com/AP_Manring.htm">Nomad Land</a>
  13. Hi Mike, saw your duo date with Steve at the Bass Centre last year and being a naughty so and so I taped it - the results were awesome - and I sent a mini-disc to Steve (who I took a lesson with after the clinic) and he was chuffed with the results. I saw him recently at the UK Guitar Show and he told me that you guys are planning another UK tour and possibly a live album. For a very small extra cost it might be worth filming one of the bigger dates - if it comes together - and putting that out - I know of a UK fusion producer guy called Steve Bingle who runs his own DVD label called RSJ - they might be up for filming it - but I'm sure it could be done for peanuts and the results would be solo bass gold dust!

Anyway - you can add me to the list of people who'd buy a DVD of your playing - I really hope that you can get better distrobution deals with any future projects - there are a lot of people that love what you do - you're one of a kind so don't for god's sake let the stinking mess the music industry is get in the way of getting new stuff out there!

Hope to see you at the next UK event - peace
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    :) figures that the one you are able to secure for DVD just happens to be the one that I already have!

Oh well, I still know a bassist that would love a copy when it comes out, I might even want to get it on DVD too.

and I hope that you can do anything in your power to get any other manring DVDs available in the future. :hyper:
  15. Hey Michael, did they tape the show from iMusicast last September? That would make a great DVD! That was a really good show. You played beautifully.

Here are some photos from that show:

iMusicast does live internet streaming webcasts of their shows and will also tape the performances if you pay them enough. It's a cool place to see a show in Oakland, California. It's all ages so no beer. The sound and lighting are excellent.

- Dave
  16. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    Dave I emailed iMusicast about that gig on Sept 28 last year and Bryan Matheson (the CEO) said that they do have a video recording of it.

The reply was also sent to Michael asking him if he was interested in making a DVD out of it. So hopefuly we'll have an answer when Michael next reads his emails.
  17. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes, I 17th the vote for a DVD. The last all ages clinic/show you did in my area was a year and a half ago......and I missed it due to an unfortunate "band" audition I got suckered into. kicking myself right now..

P.S; any new news on A.D.?
  18. Tonkenna

Dec 15, 2003
    Loughborough, UK
    I finally, after a lot of mucking around with the mainstream suppliers, got a copy of the Bass Day DVD direct from Hudson Music in about 3 days, yesterday, and it floored me once again. There _must_ be more footage to be had! Please! There's so much to be gained from the visual aspects of your playing.

If you manage to make it over to the UK again later this year, you and Steve should get something recorded (audio and video), plus there's a whole bunch of musicians which I'll be dragging along to see you both.

P.S. Thanks for the really detailed reply to my Hyperbass Genesis question, I would have replied earlier, but job changes and relocations disconnected me from the net for a long time.
  19. Michael Manring

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for all the kind comments and interest in live DVD's, folks. I forgot that the show at Imusicast last September was recorded! I'll see if I can arrange to make that available. The "Artist's Profile" DVD is still in production and I haven't seen the final edit, but I think it may have a few things that weren't on the VHS version. Next we'll have to work on getting video of Steve and me…

Lackey, I'm sorry to report that any plans for Attention Deficit have been put on hold until Tim gets a break from his work with Primus.
  20. just another fan wanting to chime in with a DVD request. it would be awesome indeed. i learn a ton from just listening to Michael, seeing it would be that much better.