Michael Brecker Quindectet - Wide Angles.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I know there was thread about new Jazz purchase but I lost it and wanted to know if anybody else had come across this one. I've had it for a few weeks now and really like it.

Sort of a big band record with some great players - like Robin Eubanks from Dave Holland's group and even a British Jazz player who I have seen live several times at my local Jazz club - Iain Dixon!

The rhythm section are very good - Antonio Sanchez, John Patitucci on bass and I'm pretty sure one of the tracks at least, sounds like BG - people are often asking about contemporary Jazz with BG!

There are some funky tracks - fusions with other types of world music and some very detailed and unusual arrangements as well as great soloing. I think this would be a great CD for anyone looking to have an album that shows you the breadth of modern Jazz with a bit of everything going on in world Jazz today! :)

For one I agree with the sticker on the CD :

"Michael Brecker reaches the Jazz stratosphere with poweful new compositions arranged for a 15-piece band - an explosive tour-de-force and an essential contribution to the Jazz canon."
  2. Bruce Lindfield

PS - it was track 9 that sounds like BG and is pretty funky!! :)
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just had a listen to the six soundclips on Amazon - sounds good! It seems to be a good time for big bands at the moment - have just picked up Carla Bley's new one, 'Looking For America', which is very good, and I keep meaning to get Dave Holland's 'What Goes Around' as well.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Thanks for the review, Bruce--that sounds like something I'd like. By odd coincidence, both Brecker and Patitucci live in my small town, as do Bob Mintzer (Yellowjackets, also his own fine big band) and DBist Harvie Swartz--it sometimes makes me not even want to tell villagers I play LOL ("Oh, you play? You must know Mike Brecker, ever play with him?" "Uh, well, no...."):bassist:
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dem's powerful words!
    "...essential contibution to the Jazz canon"?

Why not add this-
    "The Jazz lexicon has been re-written"?

Just busting your chops, Bruce.
    I'm a big Brecker fan & it's been awhile since...ya know. I have been wearing out my Three Quartets album with Corea(Brecker/Gadd/Gomez). Hopefully, this one is as good as advertised.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

I think the headlines I've seen have said soemthing like Breacker reaches new Milestone in Jazz!! The copywriters have been working overtime on ths one!! ;)
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just ordered this Brecker album. I like what I heard; I have been gravitating away from stuff like this...sometimes it is nice going back.

Also in the mail-
    Chris Potter-Traveling Mercies(some of what I sampled sounds a bit like instrumental Steely Dan)
    Miroslav Vitous-Universal Syncopations
    Miles Davis-Complete Jack Johnson Sessions

The Hurricane Isabel overtime money is going away fast.
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Good choices Jim!

The Complete 'Jack Johnson' Sessions' got a maximum rating in the new issue of 'Jazzwise'. There are clips of ALL the tracks at hmv.co.uk - I going to get it, but it seems a bit OTT to me (lots of takes of the same tunes - may get samey?). There is going to be an eight-page feature on the recording in next month's magazine.

A nice three-page interview with Vitous - no review of the album yet, though the article does say "With a dazzling group of sidemen who have all been a part of his musical history, Vitous has created a major statement that could well be one of the critics' picks of 2003."

Bruce, what do you think of the DVD that came with this month's mag, especially the Erskine/Taylor/Danielsson trio? Unfortunately I haven't got a TV at the moment, so can't watch it, nor the Corea/Burton and Bley/Swallow duets DVD that I've just got! :(
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I picked up the Brecker album when it came out...I like it a lot!! I've been a longtime fan of both Breckers. I like the album a lot....it's a little different than his other albums, I dig the big band thing:cool:

Jim K........the new Miroslav is very good too!
    Great band...Garbarek/Corea/Mclaughlin & some nice playing from DeJohnette, who I love! But people who don't care for the ECM vibe, might not dig it.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Do I ever get anything before you?!

I know there's a ECM vs. Blue Note vs. Soul Note vs. Black Saint vs. ____________ kinda thing that goes around.
    Whatever...I do love the Dave Holland stuff on ECM.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It took those two C.D.'s to knock the new Dave Holland out of the changer after two weeks!
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - that's about the only bit of it that I would be intrested in but I don't have DVD player!
    Well - most of my DVDs play on my PS2 but this one won't!! I'm not too bothered though as it's only one track.

I might be tempted to get a DVD player soon though, to get better resolution on films like the LOtR extended editions on DVD! :)
    Probably around the time the next one comes out in November.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Brecker & Potter albums arrived today.
    So far, I will say the Potter disc(with Bill Stewart, Scott Colley, guitarists Scofield & Adam Rogers) is a hit!

I'll get to the Brecker album a little later...
  14. Bruce Lindfield

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Patitucci's playing on track 9 - I'm hearing a Willis influence, maybe...?:meh:
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That groove does sound a bit like Tribal Tech.
    Overall, IMO, this Brecker album is very, very entertaining...thanks for hipping me to it as I may have just ignored it.
    The opening track has a nice hard-hitting groove goin' on.

I'm digging the Potter disc...a lot(his Gratitude disc is also very good).
    The Vitous ECM disc is a little more 'tame' than I had hoped for.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

The Vitous CD gets good reviews in UK JazzWise magazine...

I heard some good stuff on the radio yesterday - there's a French radio station which I can get here and they play Jazz sometimes. Yesterday morning they seemed to be playing new fusion releases. So I heard a nice track from "Jack Johnson" with Mclaughlin and Miles playing great solos.

They played a few other things and I didn't catch the titles/tracks as I was doing other stuff - but one track really caught my ear - so I was like - wow that is a great bass line and great bass tone!! I was thinking that sounds like Jaco but not like Jaco... more modern tone and technique - then it evolved into WR's 'Barbary Coast' and I realised it must be the "Word of Mouth" tribute album - it sounded fantastic - great horns (great arrangements - nice to hear that tune with real horns as opposed to synths!!) and wonderful bass playing, that was up front in the mix - a must-buy for all bassists!! :)
  17. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just ordered the Vitous and Word of Mouth Revisited discs from Amazon. I think the WOM CD is enhanced with video clips of the recording sessions.

Caught Jazz on 3 on Friday - they played the track from 'Wide Angles' that you've been talking about - I liked it.

What I REALLY liked though, was the track they played from Denys Baptiste's Let Freedom Ring! - beautiful big-band playing and even the spoken-word segment sounded good!

Entered the compeition to win them, along with the new AEoC album, so hopefully I won't have to pay for them!

PS. Is anyone else forking out for the 'Jack Johnson Sessions' - it's the same price in HMV and at Amazon (£55 :eek: ), so I'm thinking that I might as well get it today when I'm out?
  18. Bruce Lindfield

55 quid!! You must be joking! I could get 5 or 6 re-issued Jazz classics for that!

I've got too much Miles in my collection already and I need to branch out more.

I don't get to hear Jazz on 3 as I am always at Brighton Jazz club on Friday nights - there was a good band there last Friday - Urban Jazz Quintet.

So the band is co-lead by the bassist and drummer with no chordal instruments - but 3 horns with some nice arrangements/original tunes. Some of our best UK players as well - like Peter King on Alto.

Next Friday is Mornington Lockett, with probably our best UK Jazz bass guitarist : Laurence Cottle. So I won't miss that one either!! :)

19. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    You're very lucky Bruce! That said, I'm now in Nottingham for 12 months, and there's a pretty healthy appetite for jazz around here - plenty of places have live music at least once a week.

Next week I ought to be going to see Shorter Stories: A celebration of the music of Wayne Shorter. (Pg.5 of this month's 'Jazzwise')
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Just had a look - looks like a great band!! Julian Siegel was a tutor on the Jazz Summerschool I attended and he is a really great player and very nice guy - very funny!! His friends amongst the other tutors call him "wiggy" !! ;)

He was really good in a class I attended on playing in odd time signatures and re-harmonising standards - some really good practical tips - that would be impossible to impart via a written medium - but made great sense when he was standing in front of you demonstrating with sax and metronome!!

I've seen Ben Davis (the cellist who studied with Dave Holland) a few times at my local Jazz club - notably leading his own septet which was very innovative and interesting - Schonberg meets contemporary Jazz!!