Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Dimin Interview

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by stephanie, Jan 4, 2002.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hey Mike,

I'm just writing to say what a great read your interview on here was. It was really inspiring and I thank you...

Now I just have to go back to that 2-note Chord thread to figure out what "psychoacoustics" means. :D

Thanks again,
    Stephanie

PS: Thanks, of course, always goes to Max Valentino for all these great interviews he does!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Stephanie,
    Thanks for reading the interview. I must concur that Max did a GREAT job!

As for the psychoacoustic thing. It is the science of how our brain processes sound. My theory is that 2 notes, played together, can be defined as a chord as our brain will serve to fill in the missing notes. If they are all played in a certain, cultural and musical context.

Mike

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

thanks Mike and Stephanie....really it is a pleasure (labour of love?) to do these features for TB. As a
    working bassist, I think it is important for us to give credit and support to our fellow bassists.....and hopefuly the little exposure and credit awarded here at TB helps spread the word on the amazing and talented players (like Mike) that are around.
    btw...Mike's new CD, "Big Droppins" is KILLER! Watch for a review coming to TB soon....
    Max

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    You're both very welcome. I always enjoy reading interviews, whether it be here, Bass Player mag, or elsewhere. They always make me want to get off my butt and practice. :D Such an inspiration.

Oh, and thanks, Mike, for the clear-up about psychoacoustics. I've never heard that word before until you used it. :)

Be well,
    Stephanie