1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Henderson & Dave Holland

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassist15, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Ive been really gettin into Miles DAvis' electric period here lately and relized how great these two bassists were (Also a shout out to HArvey Brooks for his bass work on the brew). I hear stories of the other guys in the bands not liking Henderson's playing but Ive always enjoyed everything ive heard. Right now I only own the brew and Im really enjoying the dark low end of it with DAve on acoustic bass , Harvey on electric , Bennie Maupin on bass clarinet and Don alias and jim riley on percussion. Another thing that impresses me and this album is the great drumming of Lenny White and JAck DeJohnette. They sound like one drummer. Ive also come to relized how great John M. is on guitar.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Both Dave Holland and Michael Henderson are bass monsters IMO. Michael Henderson was a favorite of mine as a young man. I loved his solo work, and his work with Miles Davis. David Holland is one of the greatest acoustic players in the world, period. I saw him live and even my wife was blown away!:eek:

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pick up or check out McLaughlin's 1st solo album, Extrapolation.

More McLaughlin & Henderson on Miles' Tribute To Jack Johnson...add that one to 'the Brew'.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  5. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    Johnny Mac turned in one of the nastiest solo's of all time on "Go ahead John" on Miles "Big Fun". It's been compared to a mad hornet trapped in a glass.

6. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Agreed on the nastiness! The solo can be enjoyed in all its raw glory, without the 'glass' (courtesy of Teo Macero) on the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions. Those discs as well as the Cellar Door Sessions are a must for all fans of Miles, Mclaughlin and Henderson...and all the rest on there!