Michael Henderson . . .whatta man!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matthew T., Feb 27, 2002.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    Bass Player finally got around to taking my advice and running a feature on Michael Henderson. If you haven't heard this guy, you've gotta check him out! His riffs are rough to cop at full speed (I only have "Right Off" up to about 108) and they added desperately needed cohesion with Miles. (Which is, unfortunately, the only band I've heard Henderson with.)
    Henderson grooves like crazy. He isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you haven't heard him, at least check out a mp3 to hear his concept of rhythm and space.
    I still want a Bass Player feature on Paul Goddard from the Atlanta Rhythm Section. Anybody else have some unsung favorites they want to see in print?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I liked that Henderson interview in Bass Player.

What do you think about Henderson faux pau on "Right Off"?
    McLaughlin begins with a boogie feel in "E"; Henderson begins a R&B groove in "E"...everthing's cool.
    Then, @ 2:11, McLaughlin modulates to "Bb"; Henderson misses that & continues his figure in "E"!
    The story goes-
    Miles allowed this bi-tonality to continue; eventually, he enters with a "C#(Db)" on his horn...that note was NOT a random choice.
    That note finally 'nudges' Henderson to "Bb" @2:33 of the tune.
    Paul Tingen(author of Miles Beyond) calls that "...one of the most impressive examples of the there are no mistakes adage that Miles learned from Bird".

FWIW, I always liked Henderson line on "Your Are My Starship"...
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oh yeah-
    ...has Bass Player vere given Paul Jackson his due? I'm talking a full-blown cover story + more than a few examples.
    Also, I'd like to read full features on Richard Davis, William Parker, Ben Allison...these guys may have been mentioned ONCE in passing. ;)

As far as Rock-
    ...Gary Thain & Dennis Dunaway would be cool.
  4. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I will give "Right Off" a spin tomorrow, when I go to visit Mom (and my turntable). I don't recall hearing Henderson's error, so I'll keep my ear peeled. From what I've read "Right Off" was a live jam in the studio, so I understand how mistakes can happen. Screwing up is often the price you pay for trying to improvise in the moment. I know you can use this argument to rationalize anything, but I think it's probably valid here.
    I have a dim memory of small articles on Richard Davis and William Parker. Bass Player did a very short feature on Paul Jackson a while back, although I don't think it had any music with it. I enjoy his brand of finger funk. It seems so different from Jaco or Rocco. A little more rhythmically fragmented than that of the aforementioned gentlemen, perhaps. Which is basically the same reason why I like Henderson.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You'll definitely hear when McLaughlin goes into "Bb" over Henderson's "E"...I always thought it was intentional 'til I read about it.

On a tangent-
    I picked up a Richard Davis cd yesterday called Now's The Time...recorded LIVE, it kicks(paid a scant $4.99 for it from www.dustygrooves.com Whadda steal!). The 3 pieces are extended jams; a Monk & Bird tune are tackled & the musicians do venture into 'outsviille'...;)
    Also, this a.m. I bought Matthew Shipp's Nu Bop(March's Bass Player reviewed it). William Parker & Guillermo Brown(drums) are gettin' it! ;)