1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Henderson with Miles: Jazz or Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tightbidness, Mar 22, 2006.

1. I've often seen Michael Henderson pictured back in the day with a Fender Jazz (and in more recent photos an A-Bass Jazz). But recently I read an article that said he played a Precision during his tenure with Miles. Does anyone know what kind of bass or basses he played with Miles? Anyone have pics of Henderson in Miles' band?

2. in the videos i have of that group hes playing a jazz.

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Seems to me I've only seen him with a jazz...there was an article in a bassplayer mag about him (and his gear) that you could probably locate. I might have it...if I can find it tonight, I'll repost...

4. Thanks guys. Hey narud, are the videos you have available to purchase? In other words can you buy vids/DVDs of Miles from the late '60s and early '70s?

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I always thought it was a P based on sound, but I'm not the best at distinguishing a sound just by listening... narud, what videos are these and is there anywhere I could see them? I've been looking for some late 60s early 70s miles and have yet to find.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    That DVD is a must for any Miles fan. Lots of funk, lots of Dave Holland, and lots of P-Bass goodness.

The film is of good quality, the sound is good, and good interviews round up the package.

8. i got my videos through the trading circles so they arent available to buy commercially.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have seen Michael Henderson with both jazzes and P-basses during his stint with Miles Davis.

10. I can't wait to check out the Isle of Wight show. Thanks guys. I may have seen footage of that before. I've also seen clips from an indoor concert from that era with Holland on upright.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Coincidentally I happened to be reading my copy of that last night...it's a few years old. The pictures in it showed him with the same late-60's block neck Jazz. In the article where it says he was a 15yr old in the house band at a Detroit club where Jamerson would frequent, and Jamerson would sit in and play Michael's Jazz.

12. lucashenderson.
    Look at that rig!

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I recently picked up the box set of Miles at the Cellar Door and the pictures in the 96 page book show MH with a P bass...