Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Henderson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lo., Dec 30, 2005.

1. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    Just wondered if anyone knows the whereabouts of a decent discography for MH, that covers the Motown days - I know he played on the Fantastic Four stuff (from the age of 13!) but not much more...

I have a Stevie Wonder "Live at the Talk of the Town" 1970 album that has some of the most incredible bass playing you'll ever hear on it - he rips through and adds to Jamerson lines like a man possessed. No wonder Miles Davis grabbed him after seeing him at a SW gig!

Sorry for the intrusion - hope there's another MH follower out there.

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    A great player and greatly overlooked.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Great player.
    I live in Boston area.
    Heard a story that he stiffed A bass, never payed for his bass.
    Said he needed it for Bassplayer shoot.
    Sent Albey a check, it bounced, Albey sent bass before he got check, Mike never sent money for bass?

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow.
    In any event, he is kickin' booty on the just issued Cellar Door Sessions 1970.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm a huge Michael Henderson fan. I am especially a fan of solo albums (Solid, Going Places, In the Night Time, Going Places, Wide Receiver, and few others all on Buddah) that were released between 1976-1985. On his solo albums, he became a great fretless player beginning with two cuts on the Going Places album.

His Miles Davis stuff is great too, many bassists prefer that period because that music is instrumental while his solo albums focused much more on vocals. Those who are familiar with his Miles work, however, can see those influences on his solo albums, especially the first two.

I am always happy to see anything on Michael Henderson. WHen I was in my late teens and early twenties, Henderson, along with Stanley Clarke, Larry Graham, and later Bernard Edwards were gigantic influences.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope the A bass story is not true. I don't know enough about it to judge.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Years ago (late 70's-early 80's) I wondered into a music store in metro Detroit and heard a guy walking on a Jazz Bass. Never in my life, including the two times I saw Jaco live have I EVER heard a cat that could walk on a bass like that and be so entertaining to listen too. Turned out to be Michael Henderson. I talked too him for about an hour. I just remember him being a great guy who had chops that lasted for days. He also told me that Miles told him "don't play any of that jazz stuff". I saw him again a couple of times at Bakers in the late 80's just blowing the doors off people during jam sessions. But I have no idea what he's currently up to.

8. ja ja ja... what a great story, hope it is not true... anyway great player!!!

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  10. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    Thanks for the replies - I guess there just isn't any decent info out there on what he played on prior to joining Stevie's band.

As it was a UK-only release, I'm guessing you guys haven't heard the Talk of the Town LP - Henderson's playing on 'I Was Made To Love Her' is something else, I tell you - every measure is a lesson in funk.

Check him out on 'Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy' by the Fantastic Four. I thought it was Jamerson for a year or so before I realized it was MH.

And those Cellar Door Sessions? Ever heard anyone play 'What I Say' and sound like MH? Didn't think so. :D

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Do like Michael's playing with Miles, especially at the point of 'Agharta', when the band's musical concept was finally together and everyone's playing was on top-form.

Haven't heard any of his solo work. His recent 'Children on the Corner' band was underwhelming. www.childrenonthecorner.com Pete Cosey's 'Children of Agharta' project is much more satisfying (based on a poor-quality audience recording).

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I never bought Henderson's '70s solo albums...although, I did like Norman Connors' "You Are My Star Ship", a tune within the same genre & from that same time frame. I'm assuming Henderson played the bass on that track.

...agree with you about the recent Children On The Corner band/project/album.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've been thinking about suggesting "What I Say" to my current band...my problem is keeping that figure goin' consistently for 10+ minutes.
    ;)

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I was going to say the same thing,because we only head one side of the story,but like you I hope it isn't true, because that would be real sad if it's true

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    It use to be posted on A bass website?