Michael Jackson Interview on UK TV

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by moley, Feb 4, 2003.

1. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Anyone see it, on ITV last night?

It was Martin Bashir's 'no-holds-barred' MJ interview.

The guy is stranger than I thought.

They talked about his childhood - and his dad actually used to beat him and his brothers in rehearsals when they got dance steps wrong etc. :eek:

And of course his dad used to take the piss out of his appearance (call him bignose, and tease him because of his spots etc).

MJ lives in his own ranch, called 'Neverland' (after Peter Pan - the boy who never grew up) - where he has his own theme park, which he invites kids to. He even lets kids stay over in his house - and sometimes in his room - in his bed! While he sleeps on the floor :eek: Which is how the whole child abuse allegations came about back in 1993.

They showed him going to Vegas with his kids. Whenever they're in public, they have masks on their faces, to protect their identity. What I don't understand is, all three of his children are White - even though he's black (!) and (he claims) the mother of his 3rd child is black :confused:

They also talked about his face. Martin Bashir mentioned the claims by the press that he's had work done on his chin, jawline, cheekbones etc. etc. - all of which he denied. He claimed that he only ever had two operations, both on his nose. And he claimed that they were so that be could breathe better, and get the high notes!! He also says (like he always has) that the colour of his skin is due to Vitiligo - which also means that whenever he's out in the sun he has to have his umberella.

He's a strange fella alright...
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I turned over by mistake for a few seconds and tuned back to "Enterprise" as quickly as possible - yeeeuchh!!

Does he need any more publicity? :rolleyes:
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The expression is 'no holds barred', freudian slip maybe?
  4. Bruce Lindfield

That's even more of a yeeeucch than I had first envisaged!! ;)
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL, heh, mistype there. I'll go correct it.
  6. I thouht this too. Maybe if he really did bleach his skin then he bleached his kids too.
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I deliberately didn't watch it, the less I see of this weirdo, the better ...

Talking of weird ..... this is my 666th post! .......where did I put that crucifix?
  8. Bruce Lindfield

That's my view exactly - we don't need to give him any more publicity - we should be avoiding him wherever possible!
  9. he came accross as being shockingly naive- re. having children sleep over in his room, and saying so on camera...

he said himself that he's obsessed with the Peter Pan character.
    he's the child who'll never grow up, and wants "to live forever".

overall, quite a disturbing programme.
    maybe if fame had come later in his life he'd be normal today.
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah - it was a disturbing programme, in a way. And he did come over pretty naive - like a child.

And maybe, as you say, if he hadn't been so famous so young, he would be 'normal'. I think it was the combination of his fame (and the consequences thereof) and the horrible treatment he got from his dad, that have turned him into what he is today.

I think he basically feels that he was robbed of his childhood. He wasn't allowed to go out and play etc. - he had to practice all the dance moves and stuff so hard, and had to record in the studio. Their dad was very strict.
  11. I've just seen a piece of lunchtime TV where this interview was discussed. The psychologist talked about has father's behavior, saying Michael may be trying to recapture the childhood he never had.

Can't help feeling a bit sorry for anyone who's had a bad childhood. Can't help feeling, too, that MJ is one seriously strange bloke...err, woman, errrrrr....rrrrr

12. ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Ah but he is still a genius.....!
  13. Didn't watch the program, saw trailers and thought this is just too weird!

I do feel sorry for him, for the childhood he might not have had, and for the his childish outlook on life he still has as a grown up!

He really is a weirdo! If any non celeb acted like him they'd be committed!:eek:
  14. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    His son's hair was definatly bleached....terrible roots :rolleyes:

I feel so sorry for his kids :( I can't even begin to imagine what he's doing to them, mentally more than anything. Their lack of a mother and lack of social interactions with 'normal kids' of their age must be really messing them up.....as well as those masks they wear..what must their self esteem be like if they are not allowed to be seen in public without the masks ?

15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The whole mask thing is bizarre.

Even his last child (the baby he dangled out of a hotel window a while back) - had a veil over his face in the interview, while MJ was feeding him.
  16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Dude! Ever been to Korea? Masks are standard practice there. But for them it's more of trying to avoid germs and bad air.
  17. a lot of people who've had unhappy/disturbed childhoods turn to alcohol and drug abuse in adult life- only MJ doesn't seem to have done- probably due to his clinging to childhood innocence which would exclude such things.

he did seem to have a shopping addiction- then again most exceedingly wealthy people seem to as well.
    his repeated cosmetic surgery operations suggest an addiction of sorts.

normally psychotherapy could help deal with such problems, but MJ's wealth and fame have allowed him to remain the same, and do whatever he wants, without anyone close to him expressing disapproval, it seems.
  18. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
  19. Leave him alone , for god's sake . :mad:
  20. Is that really what he wants? If it is, why did he do the interview? It's not like he's released any good music for......ever? :p;) OK, my opinion is not the point. His last album was a expensive, and from what I've read, a commercial failure. If people weren't talking about his freakish appearence or his dangling of/ sleeping in the same room as/ alleged abuse of young children, then they probably wouldn't be talking about him at all.

And, as we all know, in pop music, the only thing worse than being talked about is......;).