Michael Jackson "Maria"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dd16, Sep 5, 2012.

1. dd16

dd16

Dec 23, 2011
    Paris, France
    Hi TBers !

I've just listened to this song that I didn't know and the bass line (as the rest of the song) amazed me. It is so musical, every note is perfect.
    I'm sure you know who is the bassist on this one, could you please tell me ?

:hyper: :hyper:

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Gonna go out on a limb and say I don't think it is James Jamerson. Heard a few things that were not typical of JJ's playing, IMHO. Could be Babbit or Jermaine.

I could be wrong though.

3. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Jermaine didn't record bass for the J5. I think his first shot would have been with the "Jacksons".

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Just heard it. Awesome. Nice and loud in the mix.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I hear you...live, though, Jermaine is playing on the Live At The Forum cds. As posted in my earlier review...he comes across in a Jamerson/Jack Bruce vibe.

"Maria" is from the solo debut MJ album , Got To Be There...J5 were still doing their thing.
    I would assume it was the same Motown guys playing on each project. Jamerson, Ron Brown, Babbitt...Felder?
    I see Hal Davis produced Got To Be There...does this put it on the West Coast?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I believe Hal Davis was West Coast Motown. I also wouldn't dismiss Jermaine. He was fighting pretty damn hard to record. May not have gotten any credits but I'd be willing to bet he did play bass on some J5 stuff. Is there absolute proof that he didn't? As mentioned above...he did play live. Goin' Back To Indiana (with the Bill Cosby interludes) was all Jermaine.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I recall watching that when it aired...still have the LP!

8. I remember seeing the movie, the jacksons, an american dream on vh1 and they moved to California to record with motown, so all j5 material would have to be west coast motown.

9. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC