1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Submission Michael Jackson - Off The Wall

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jloch86, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Title track from one of my all time favorite albums. Funk pioneer Louis Johnson lent his talents for every track on this this album except "Rock With You".

Tuned a half step down.

Attached Files:

2. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

Great job, from another guy who plays from the Smiths to R&B! I play this song in my sub job, we mix it with Boogie Nights for great effect. We start with BN, play almost the entire song then morph into this. Try it out.

Since you ask for "criticism".. . I haven't picked apart the original track for over a year but I apparently heard one thing differently. Nevermind the alternate tuning (I don't get that option at this gig) so hopefully I won't screw the translation up... in the main riff where you play 0 5 0 7 on the A (ADAE), I play 7 (B note on the E), 5(D on the A), back to 7 on the E then 7 on the A (E note). Your way and my way each work but check it out and see if you hear it differently. My way does require a shift (I shift back and use pinky on the E string note, index on the A string D and then shift or slide to index finger on the A string E). I wish I knew how to do a set up like yours rather than typing this confusing mess!

btmpancake likes this.
  3. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes I know exactly what kind of phrasing you're talking about. The ol' pentatonic thing that also appears on Jamerson's intro riff to "Don't Mess With Bill" or Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love. I haven't considered playing it that way because if you slow down the riff, the notes are indeed A D A. And I don't doubt Johnson's ability to play your interpretation (or yours for that matter!), but that three ghost note lick is played so quick that it just doesn't seem practical to have to shift positions over and over again.

You're talking about Heatwave's Boogie Nights, correct?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021