Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Jackson (the old Justin Timberlake) - Off the wall

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Sep 30, 2003.

1. I bought the Off The Wall special edition in the HMV clearout today (£5.99)-
    I'd bet that Justin Timberlake owns several copies of this album- for the house(s), car(s), and left several copies round at Britney's too.

Timberlake's "rock your body" sounds like a hybrid of MJ's Rock with you and Get on the floor.
    and the vocal style is so similar ("girrrrlll..", and the spoken intro to "don't stop") it's ridiculous:D

nice bass playing from Louis Johnson (stingray?), and Bobby Watson on Rock with you (P bass?), also some funky synth basslines on some tracks, and the added demo versions (even if they're a bit distorted).

also I'm sure a horns/keyboard/guitar riff on "Don't stop" was copied, or even sampled for Timo Maas' "Shifter".

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've got the special edition 'Off the Wall' as well - definitely a classic that holds up well today!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bag: honest, it's my sisters cassette, she left it the other day when she borrowed my deck

;) I still have my cassette (though it has no treble left). I should snag the reissue. Too bad he wigged out... he was a great musical mind.

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I, too, have often thought that J. Timberlake was doing his best old school MJ impression. But I like it.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've always thought Timberlake was trying to make himself out to be the next "king of pop"

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yep.
    Yep.

Off The Wall is a Soul/R&B classic.
    Rod Temperton's writing, IMO, was a big part of MJ's early solo albums.
    Did that album come out in '78 or '79? Geez...

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Don't you mean "King of POOP"?

I like the fact Justin is trying to bring back a certain groove....But its all plagiarism now.

8. 1979 (release)

[​IMG]

;) Treena

9. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    This is one of my favoutite albums- the horns on burn this disco out are amazin!! I think he might have used an alembic for the slap stuff- and some of the synthy sounding lines I think are actually real bass like on "don't stop till you get enough.."

10. Credits on this album say...Louis Johnson (Bass, Rhythm Arrangements) and Bobby Watson (Bass),.

:bag: Great album, I bought it the day it released and I still have it on vinyl!

;) Treena

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I only have it on vinyl!
    ;)

Talking about this album reminded me The Jacksons' Destiny album..."Blame It On The Boogie" is a cooker(maybe Nathan Watts on bass?).
    "Shake Your Body Down To The Ground" & "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" are similar.

12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I love this album. I think its all stingray.I think he hadnt used a alembic for a couple of years.

Get on the floor is nasty

AJ

13. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Yea, but everything's plagiarized when you really get down to it. I kinda like Justin's cd, to be frank. I saw him live, it was a pretty good show.

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I'm not saying Justin's stuff is bad, I kind of like it too. But damn, write your own SH**!
    Stop stealing riffs or songs. He's got the talent...use it!!!!

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Stevie Wonder tune from Off The Wall is sweet!

If any of you like those vocal harmonies & bass figures on Temperton's tunes("Off The Wall", "Rock With You")-
    Check out Heatwave's 1st three albums-
    Too Hot To Handle
    Central Heating
    Hot Property...AFAIK, never issued onto cd. I'm lucky to have two copies on vinyl! ;)

16. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    What a trip yesterday as I was reading everone's comment about Justin,and the radio just so happen to be playing Off The Wall by MJ,what a trip.

Talking about vintage mike in his prime;afro,nose the whole works.:D

By the way Justin's pretty cool.

17. when Timberlake first appeared on UK TV on TOTP, doing his dance routine for "Like I love you" there were obvious similarities to MJ in terms of performance.

I like Timberlake's "rock your body"- nice bassline, only when I downloaded MJ's "rock with you" I became a bit suspicious, then when I bought the album and heard MJ's vocal line in "get on the floor" - "dance with me!" I had to laugh-
    it's almost as if Timberlake's producers chopped up the off the wall album, reassembled it and gave it to him to sing.

it was also funny hearing MJ's quiet spoken intro to "don't stop"- compare with JT's spoken bit in "Like I love you":D

ps. anyone remember "cool breeze on the rocks" on De La Soul's 3 feet high and rising album, which sampled Rock with you and lots of other tracks with "Rock" in them? :p

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I just can't believe how bad Timberlake tried to rip off Donny Hathaway on his latest single......remember Donny getting the crowd to sing with him on the Ghetto? Timberlake copped it outright...I hope it was a nod to Hathaway.
    If it wasn't.........LAME.

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I had to play that line the other day I got insperation from MJ but my mind went GOOD TIMES.

AJ

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I opt for LAME; I wonder if he's even heard Donny Hathaway. Sorry for being a cynic; I thought I was getting better. I guess not.
    Reminds me of an early/younger Faith Hill doing
    "Piece Of My Heart"...she was asked how she felt her "Countrified" cover compared to Joplin's original version; said she had never heard of it.

Forget Timberlake-
    The hot one out there is 16-year old UK-er Joss Stone...someone said she's like a cross between Joplin & Betty Wright. I agree.
    ;)