Michael Kelly 5 String Acoustic Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hello all,

First off, I did do a search of this topic before posting here. Well it's my birthday. I've been telling my wife for months that I want a nice acoustic base. I found out that she secretly ordered me one. She ordered me a Michael Kelly Dragonfly II 5 string.

Now, I've read mixed reviews on these. Some say they are great, others say they just look great. A couple things have changed on them in the past 10 months, or so I've read.

I read that the 5 string used to use the same thickness neck as the 4 string which caused it to bow a little on some of the necks. I see that the specs at the site now show that the 5 string neck is now indeed thicker at the base and at the nut. I also see that they went from a 32" to 34" scale, and read that some of the internal bracing has been increase on the body. Most of these changes took place sometime in 2004.

Has anybody gotten on of these NEW lately and have an opinion? I'd rather have the opinions of the newer ones (late 2004) rather than the old ones. Hopefully it will be a keeper...
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member