1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Michael Kelly 5-string Java Ebony acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ted Mowery, May 11, 2020.

1. While I realize these are two completely different animals, (for the more refined and experienced bassists on here, who play acoustic bass), were I to consider purchasing one of these, vs. a 3/4 size European-made custom bass, to play purely for personal enjoyment acoustically (initially) and maybe down the road, professionally...

What are your suggestions, or thoughts, if I wanted to lend depth and evolve my playing beyond my rock, blues and folk roots? I'm also very fond of classical and world music, as well as the Indian santoor and other bassy-sounding instruments.

I'm not opposed to becoming proficient at reading music to enjoy the mellow, relaxing tone for play at home. Have always loved the sound of these and cellos.

Am I being silly? How many others have grown up and pushed themselves over into learning to play the more serious acoustic basses classically as a purely academic pursuit, or evolution, or refinement of themselves and their art?

I am mostly a rock or fusion musician at this time, but I can see the limitations and wonder if this might provide "more" satisfaction, because... lol I can't get no...

*I have no intention of becoming a classical musician for an orchestra.

Humble thanks in advance.

Dragonfly 5 Port Java Ebony

2. Screenshot_20200512-003149_Facebook.jpg

3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Beautiful bass but the 1st response would be my thoughts as well.

Ted Mowery likes this.
  4. Which response? First one above was a pic i posted of the classical 3/4 upright (european make) i can get for $500 locally.

The michael kelly dragonfly 5str is 650 + a hardshell case (~150). Unfortunately no used ones available currently.

Dont currently play upright -

Seems like it could be an interesting expansion of my current playing vs. getting an acoustic version of electrics I already own...

I briefly had a nice dean exxotica 4 str acoustic bass but had to return it due to neck damage during shipping...

Thanks for the response, I'm thinking of interesting or new ways to develop beyond what ive been doing.

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    If you're just looking for a different tonal texture, an ABG might be interesting. I had an ABG for about a year, but it's lack of volume, poor construction and limited applicable use convinced me to get rid of it.

6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :) get the upright!

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    If you go with the upright, spend some time over on the DB side of TB. A $500 upright is what they might refer to as a BSO - bass shaped object - usually looked upon with disdain. After doing some reading over there, you may need to rethink your budget. Nice ABG though, although I find the inlay a bit ornate for my taste. I'd see if a solid slab of naked ebony is available myself.

Ted Mowery likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You should've bought another Exotica.. one the older models with the Aphex System electronics.
    Do you know how many other acoustic basses have the Aphex System?
    Don't bother checking...none do.
    20191122-172852.jpg
    Yes, I have two...they're that good.

Ted Mowery likes this.
  9. I really liked the exxotica, it was too bad the neck was cracked...

Yeah, maybe I'll hold off for a while. The 3/4 upright was originally listed closer to 1k, not in a budget position to drop 1k on one right now, so maybe its a moot point and something to put down for future consideration.

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021