Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael Kelly Basses, What do you know?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcbassdude, May 20, 2003.

1. I see these really nice looking acoustic basses on E-Bay by Michael Kelly. I understand they're Korean basses so I am of course skeptical. They look really nice and are very inexpensive.
    Anyone here have any knowledge on how they sound, play etc.?
    Peace

2. bump

I searched the other threads and found very little practical knowledge of the basses. Anyone out there using them?
    The price's certainly raises the radar, But sometimes a deal can be had.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've been tempted too... I'm pretty sure they've been talked about here before

btw! I've had 'Street Dance in Cairo' stuck in my head all day :bassist: great tune!

4. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
  5. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    yeah, what you need is some impartial opinions.
    I suggest searching through as many bass forums as you can find on the internet.

Here's 3 i just went found, dunno how good they are or how helpful they'll be:

basslinks

music gear network

all hail Bob Gollihur ....nothin about MichaelKelly here, but it's got a good links section and everybody should visit this site anyway.

Hope you get something,
    C.

EDIT:
    right under your nose

6. Wow I'm flattered Thank you so very much. I've downloaded some of your tunes and will listen tonight.

Peace

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Never checked one out myself, but I recall reading somewhere recently that the unamplified sound is very quiet, and the amplified circuit is very harsh on the high end. Seems to me that it could be EQ'd out if need be.

I must admit my curiosity is always tickled when I see one on Ebay . . . for that little bread, the consequences can't be bad if you pull the trigger and its not quite what you expected. They can always be resold.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no problem, I try to listen to a little of everyone's stuff here, I save some here and there that I really dig.... 'street dance in cairo' is in that folder :cool: thanks for the tune!

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I tried out a used Michael Kelly fretless once and couldn't put it down fast enough.

Looks very nice, but the sound is very weak acoustically and still on the thin side when plugged in. It has some punch to it, but that's not what I was looking for in an ABG.

They are quite playable - better than the Washburns, roughly the same as a Fender or Ovation ABG.

Still, I wouldn't buy one. That's just me though.